VN7-792G and Speed Shift Technology

Sumdud
Sumdud Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

With Skylake Intel introduced Speed Shift Technology(SST), it's interesting  especially for mobile devices. But unfortunately it's disabled on VN7-792G. For those who don't know what SST is, it allows processor change frequencies more quickly to allow quicker responses from low power idle state.

Screenshot (12).png

It would be nice if Acer enabled SST in next BIOS update.

Best Answer

• Ideas_Acer
    Ideas_Acer Member Posts: 284 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Duuuuude!  I learned a little something today.  (THAT doesn't happen very often, BTW!  Man Wink )  The issue you brought up is the result of a matter of timing.  When our VN7 was in design we knew that the SST feature was coming for that processor, but it turns out that the product was done and ready to go before the SST feature was actually ready on Intel's end.  Rather than hold the product up, we released it with the SST disabled.  Now as Intel has the SST feature available and we test it to verify operation in the VN7, it is likely that we will update the BIOS to enable the SST capability.  I don't have a schedule, or even a solid commitment on that yet, as there is much testing and verification to be done first.  But it looks good right now.  Thanks again for getting in touch.  Good topic!

Answers

• Ideas_Acer

Thanks for the feedback, Dude.  I'm not 'in the know' about what is going on with the SST capability in that product, but will make an inquiry and see if I can find out something on this.  Thanks much!

• Ideas_Acer
    Answer ✓

Duuuuude!  I learned a little something today.  (THAT doesn't happen very often, BTW!  Man Wink )  The issue you brought up is the result of a matter of timing.  When our VN7 was in design we knew that the SST feature was coming for that processor, but it turns out that the product was done and ready to go before the SST feature was actually ready on Intel's end.  Rather than hold the product up, we released it with the SST disabled.  Now as Intel has the SST feature available and we test it to verify operation in the VN7, it is likely that we will update the BIOS to enable the SST capability.  I don't have a schedule, or even a solid commitment on that yet, as there is much testing and verification to be done first.  But it looks good right now.  Thanks again for getting in touch.  Good topic!

• talguo
    talguo Member Posts: 5 New User

i believe speed shift v2 is currently only with kabylake U processors and will not come with latest 7820HK or even desktop 7700K and thats based on intel, not laptop makers so we are out of luck.

• Daedronus
    Daedronus Member Posts: 78 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Same issue on predator g5-793

g5-793.png

• HungLM
    HungLM Member Posts: 1 New User

SST still disabled in BIOS version 1.12. How can I enable this feature?

• Kubas789
    Kubas789 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

Same in E5-575 

SST disabled in latest BIOS 1.27

When this feature will be enabled?