VN7-792G USB port not recognized.

hezzel
hezzel Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

The USB port on Aspire VN7-792G-51LG (left side) does not work and is not recognized bij Device Manager.
The other two USB ports are functioning well (right side).

As suggested elsewhere, I removed all USB devices and rebooted but it didn't help.

Also installed the latest firmware 1.09.

What more can I do?

Hessel.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Try reinstalling the,

IO DriversIntelSerial IO Driver30.63.1519.74.7 MB2015/10/14Download

• hezzel

It didn't help, but found this:
    the README tells me I must see these devices:
    Intel(R) Serial IO I2C Host Controller
    Intel(R) Serial IO SPI Host Controller
    Intel(R) Serial IO UART Host Controller
    Intel(R) Serial IO GPIO Host Controller

but in fact I only see these:

The list of USB devices remains the same:

Anyone more ideas?

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Your two usb ports on the right that work are the usb 2.0 and the one on the left is usb 3.0.

Your list shows the 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller. That tells me the system recognizes that there is a 3.0 port.

Have you tried more than one item in the port?

Try reinstalling the chipset too.

ChipsetIntelChipset Driver10.1.1.134.7 MB2016/04/21Download

Click the arrow beside Display adapters, left click on the Intel adapter and choose Update Driver software.

I'm running a i7 with dual graphics as you are and this is what I show

2016-10-12_0929.jpg

• hezzel

According to the manual the USB port on the left is a 2.0 (black): (not working)

The ports on the right are 2 x 3.0 (blue): (working fine). Strange thing is that the manual doesn't mention SS (SuperSpeed) of one of them (number 5). I have no USB 3.0 devices so can't check if it is really 3.0.

After Chipset update and Intel Graphics update there is no difference.
    I tried several devices in the port, no result.

• starstudio
    starstudio Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

In my limited knowledge - except that I have the same exact machine - it looks like a hardware problem to me. Maybe just a solder or connector.  I have used the left side USB to run an external Asus usb monitor, and it worked great.The only step I could think not mentioned by philetus would be to run SFC/scannow from an elevated CMD prompt and see if that catches anything. If that is OK and drivers are up to date, it kind of oints to hardware.

The two USB-3.0 ports on the right are indeed slightly different in behavior on my machine. The one closest to me gives an audible alert when I insert a USB stick, and also places the Eject Option on the taskbar.  The port toward the rear doesn't do either of those. On that port, the stick shows up in file manager and works fine - but to eject I have to right click on the drive folder and choose "eject" - kind of a PITA.

btw - do you know offhand, which one of them is port 3 or port 5?

• aceranic
    aceranic Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello hezel,

Did you manage to sort it out.
    I have same problem.
    I am running Win10.
  • hezzel

Unfortunately not. 

• sstr
    sstr Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same model running win 10. My usb 2.0 port is only working with my laptop cooler. It's not working with a mouse, external HDD, usb flash drive etc.

I'd like to know if there is a solution to this.

• starstudio
    starstudio Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Not trying to be sarcastic, but my solution is simple - I'm buying a better computer next time I'm back in the U.S. I am fed up with this Acer - touchpad driver crashing daily (and lame touchpad to begin with), USB problems, Thunderbolt driver problem, wireless connection issues, external monitor incompatibility, frequent processor whine, rubber coating on top cover falling apart. I had to do a system restore last week, which necessitated some difficult software re-installs. And the reason I'm editing this right now, is because the machine froze while I was typing the original message - so I had to post it using Tab and Enter, and then shut down with Ctrl-Alt-Del. These problems are not Windows 10 faults, because my other machines on W10 are all fine. My i5 Surface Pro 4 is running TWO 30 inch 2560x1600 displays, without a hiccup. This Acer starts to slow down after a while running a single USB monitor at 1920x1080 (with DisplayLink).

• Otoshigami
    Otoshigami Member Posts: 6 New User
    After updating my Windows 10 recently my left port in VN7-792G started to behave strangely. Any device connected to it gets disconnected/reconnected after pressing some keys on keyboard (seems to be very random, but keyboard press is a must). Right side USB 3.0 ports work correctly. This problem only emerged after recent Win 10 update, but it's very puzzling to me.