VN7-791G

Stiggl
Stiggl Member Posts: 10 New User

Hi,

I have a problem with my laptop.

Since a few weeks I noticed the right fan was spinning very loud and the overall perfomance is worse than before. Especially when playing Overwatch I noticed the lags.

After further investigation I saw the the CPU is always at 0,78 GHZ even when there is nothing running at all. When I do nothing the temp is around 50 degree and doesnt really go up even when i play something (propably bc the CPU always stays at 0,78 GHZ)

So my question is why the laptop is always throtteling and if it has something to do with only the right fan working on full speed (is this normal?)

If someone has an idea I would love to hear it Smiley Happy

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

0.78 GHZ is the lowest speed of the CPU. You always have this speed? I mean, even when you stress the CPU?

If yes, that means that something is really wrong. Did you use some custom fan control sofware?

I don't really know what to say. I would try to boot for example a different OS (eg ubuntu live CD/USB) just to check if you have the same issues.

Also you can try to update the intel management engine driver but if it worked before I don't know if it will help.

MgmtEngineIntelME (Management Engine)Driver11.0.0.115560.7 MB2015/07/21Download

Also do you have the latest BIOS? It is 1.11

• Stiggl

Yes its always that low. No matter whats running in the background, its like it set fixed to that number...

I did try a custom fan control but that was after the fan already blew so hard. But I also did a new install of windows so I think that nothing should be saved anymore from the fan controll. Could a fan control software have something to do with throttle?

I dont have the newest Version, im on V1.07 but I was a bit scared to update cause i read a few storys where people said they tried to update and their laptop didnt boot anymore.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

I think you should follow sharky's advice and update your BIOS.  Use acer care center.

1. Update your BIOS with Acer Care Center.

2.  After the update is complete, restart your computer.

3.  Backup your important personal files

4.  Use Acer Care Center to restore your PC to factory settings....and just start over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tin27LxnBEU

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29934/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDcwMDg1NDY3L3NpZC9PY1FuV19XbQ%3D%3D

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Stiggl

Ok i will try that tomorrow, and report back.

Another question. When i factory reset Windows will be back at 8.1 but I would like to keep Win10. Is there a special file I have to save to run the Win10 install again without the need to download it? (Win10 upgrade isnt free anymore since a few days)

Also should i first install the new bios and then do the factory reset? 

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

You can reset your PC to factory condition before you update BIOS.

To the best of my knowledge, you'll need to use the media creation tool to get back to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1.  

Just download and run the media creation tool and then click "upgrade this PC now".  Since you have already activated Windows 10, there won't be any charge (it's still free for you).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

If it asks you to enter a product key, just click "skip" or "not now" or "do this later" and it (Windows 10) should automatically install/upgrade and automatically activate again.   You don't need to enter a Windows product key.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Stiggl

I am back for my report Smiley Happy

I installed a clean Win10 and Updated to the newest Bios. 

Still the same problem, the fan starts spinning very hard and after a few seconds after the boot process the CPU stays at 0,78 GHZ.

I also searched for engery settings in the BIOS menu but couldnt find anything.

When i use throttleStop it imidiatelly goes back to 3,2 GHZ but the fan also spins like crazy (temps are around 70 degree then)

Is there anything else that could cause this problem? Starting to get desperate....

• sharky25k

Hi,

I don't know what to say. It looks like there is some sort of issue with the CPU throttling, or the cooling of the CPU. In any case it has something to do with the embedded controller.

Try to install Intel XTU (I assume you have intel CPU) and see if the CPU settings are the stock ones, EG the ones recommended by the software. Try to see how the CPU will behave in this software when you benchmark it. I don't think however that it would help too much.

Another suggestion would be to try to remove the battery. I mean try to simulate this (you have on the back a small pinhole where you can push a button, to simulate the removal of the battery. Push this button for three seconds). Another suggestion would be to remove also the CMOS battery, to reset the BIOS to defaults. But I don't know.

If the thing with the battery pinhole would not help at all, I would suggest to get some help at some service center. It can be that something from the embedded controller has failed.

• Stiggl

Thx for the replay.

I already did simulate the battery removal but it changed nothing.

I will look at XTU when I am home from work.

I also just chatted with the Customer Support, he also said that I should try to restore the BIOS to default settings with F9. If that doesnt help I have to send it in because there might be a problem with the CPU or the Fans.... Luckily I still have the warranty so it wont cost me anything beside no Laptop for a week.

• Stiggl

I just ran XTU and it tells me the CPU is thermal throttling all the time. Here is an image of the system maybe you can spot something unusual.

XTU1XTU2

• sharky25k

Hi,

I think that you have some issue with a sensor which does not report the temperature correctly. In any case you should send the notebook to service in my  opinion. You can try hwmonitor to see if you spot something unusual in a temperature sensor reading.

• sebardennes
    sebardennes Member Posts: 2 New User

hi all, sorry for my english.

I had the same problem  cpu 0.78ghz.

No good solution from acer SUPPORT (format pc, update drivers...)

I tried to open the laptops, it is very hard, and i saw a horror, the thermal paste is improperly installed. I removing all, and i put correct new thermal paste on the CPU. 

AND NOW IT WORK !!!!

I am very disappointed by ACER support and this poor quality of material....

• xocuseye
    xocuseye Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey all, sorry for my bad english.

I have the same issues.
    It is definitive a problem with BIOS/firmware of the ec (embedded controller) (V1.15) and fu*** acer doesn't update it!!!
    In my case the problem occurs as soon as connecting an external monitor via HDMI. Then I can run Ubuntu-Live (at USB), CentOS (at USB) or Windows 8/10 - the problem is still there: 0,8GHz CPU-Speed.
    When dissconnect the external monitor and reboot the device the bug is shortly fixed. ...Until the monitor is reconnected again.
    The windows-event-log includes a report that means the system had issues by syncing data with the embedded controller. In this case it is also not able to modify the fan-speed with "NBFC".
    I'm sure it is a BIOS/Firmware-Bug of the EC, but acer doesn't fix it.

More solutions!?

• Stiggl

Sorry i just saw that there are new replies.

I sent my laptop to acer and they repaired it. It was a hardware problem. They changed the whole cpu.