VN7-592G Spilled drink on keyboard, keys now sticky! How can i remove the keys to wipe keyboard?

Options
limpa0099
limpa0099 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi everyone,

There was a sugary drink spilled on my keyboard and now the keys are sticky Smiley Sad 

Are there any ways for me to remove the keycaps, so that I can wipe the sticky sugar off my keys. I am not sure if I can just pop off the keys on this laptop. Can anyone help?

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

You have to carefully pop the front of the key loose. There's a good pic on step 4 here.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Clean-Your-Sticky-Laptop-Keyboard/step4/Remove-Keys/

• limpa0099
    Options

Hi,

Are you sure this will work the same the VN7? From what I can see, the keycaps on this laptop come out of the chassis and look a bit different to the laptop on your page.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

Yes the way in which the keys are held is the same. The youtube link posted above is actually a good method how to remove the keys without damage. I removed just for curiosity the Q key from my 591G and the system is the same. However, be careful with the very big keys (Enter, Spacebar) because they have also the metal hinge. And also it is very easy to damage the mechanism for the very small keys, like ESC F keys, and arrows.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

The metal rod/ hinge is there to strengthen the key si when you press on one end, the whole key moves down.

• limpa0099
    Options

Thanks everyone Smiley Happy it worked!