VN7-591G alternates boot order

Options
peroz
peroz Member Posts: 2 New User

So I got the VN7-591G-70RT a couple of weeks ago and I decided to upgrade to windows 10 and add an ssd to it(it came with 1TB hdd). Long story short the upgrade left me with a windows 10 that had some key functionality not working at all, fortunately I had made the usb installer as a backup.

I now had the ssd(Evo 850) installed and I did a fresh install of windows 10 to the hdd which went fine and I was able to boot into it just fine. I restarted while installing some drivers and I got a graphic showing an hdd "No Bootable Device", restart again and windows loads fine. Restart a third time to make sure everything is still ok and I get the no bootable device error, fourth reboot gets to windows ok. I reinstalled windows just to make sure nothing had messed up and I did this reboot test before installing anything. I got this same behavior where the boot alternated between windows 10 and the no bootable device message. 

As a last effort I made sure bios was up to date(which it was) and that bios was set to default settings, and I still experienced the same problem. I enabled the F12 boot select in bios for convenience after this. 

Now I did a test where instead of letting the laptop boot according to the boot order, I interrupted it with F12 and told it to use the windows disk. I was able to boot into windows four of four consecutive times by selecting the disk with F12.

I went to install Linux on the ssd and after that I could boot just fine to both ssd and hdd using F12. I changed the boot priority to have the ssd first and the hdd second, since grub lets me choose which bootloader to use. I now let the laptop boot according to the boot order and I found that it would alternate between the ssd and hdd despite the priority. I did not get the no bootable device message. I also found that when I went back into bios the priority had changed itself and windows was now the top choice.

I switched to legacy boot and installed windows to the hdd, I reformatted the ssd, and changed the boot order so that windows was first. Now I could boot every time to windows and I never got the no bootable device message. Have not yet reinstalled linux to the ssd.

Based on all the above it looks like it looks like when in UEFI boot mode, the laptop will only detect one disk(no bootable device message before linux install that went away after installing linux). Additionally, the disk that is detected alternates, however if I specify the boot device using the F12 menu I can get consistency.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem in UEFI mode?

Answers

• peroz
    peroz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I installed everything in legacy boot mode and had no problems at all. The boot order never changed by itself and I could consistently boot to either one.

Any ideas for getting this consistency with UEFI?