VN7 591G Standard SATA AHCI Controller and SSD

Options
yanperez
yanperez Member Posts: 14 New User

Hello,

Bought a VN7 591G 70RT with Windows 8.1

I installed a Samsung SSD and cloned the OS with the Samsung software for those purposes. The OS was booting very fast, just 6 seconds. But the OS wasn't performing well (apps crashing and stuff) tried re-doing everything a couple of times without luck. Then I couldnt get the OS boot from the SSD so I went to a friend and the formated my HDD and installed a fresh copy of windows 8.1 on the SSD and got it to boot.  (I installed all drivers I could find)

Now the OS is booting in 12-13 seconds. And found out that it may be missing some driver as it it using the standard SATA AHCI controller. (can't tell if it was something else before as I didnt looked over that)

ahci

So if anyone having a V Nitro laptop that came from the factory with an SSD could look over that and tell me if there's any different controller. I'd appreciate it.

I'm also having the wifi issues. I didnt have that before I reinstall windows. I installed the drivers and the patch, but nothing. I have to keep opening up the drivers installation and click repair to get 10-15 mintues of good connection...

Another small thing bothering me is the touchpad. I could double tap with one finger on a scrollbar and drag it. now it doesnt work that way (I can still use the 2 finger gesture). Have installed the synaptics drivers but can't get it to work as before. Im not able to scroll using the right side of the touchpad either.

I appreciate any help,

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

about SATA drivers, have you already installed Intel chipset drivers?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/5614;-;Aspire%20VN7-591G

i would also check SSD cache:

on device manager, click on Disk drives,double click the SSD, click on Policies and check if both options are ticked, click OK and then reboot.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • yanperez
    yanperez Member Posts: 14 New User
    Options

That helped with the SATA drivers!

Capture2.PNG

Seems like I missed that one driver Smiley Tongue

about the SSD cache, the second box was unticked, ticked it and rebooted. Still getting the same boot time (around 12.5 secs)

Thanks!

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• Typhoon
    Typhoon Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

(1) "about SATA drivers, have you already installed Intel chipset drivers?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/5614;-;Aspire%20VN7-591G"

Thats wrong. The chipset drivers do not actually install anything besides changing the displayed names. You need to install the Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) Drivers. They enable energy saving features that might not be possible with the standard drivers. Furthermore, they usually lead to a small performance gain.

Latest version: Download SetupRST.exe from:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technik-Intel-RST-RAID-Treiber

(2) "on device manager, click on Disk drives,double click the SSD, click on Policies and check if both options are checked"

No. By default, only the first box (write cache) is checked. Microsoft does not recommened to check the second box for normal users, as it prevents regular write cache flushing to gain (marginal) performance. This leads to the danger of dataloss in case of a unexpected power loss.

• IronFly
    Options

Typhoon wrote:

(1) "about SATA drivers, have you already installed Intel chipset drivers?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/5614;-;Aspire%20VN7-591G"

Thats wrong. The chipset drivers do not actually install anything besides changing the displayed names. You need to install the Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) Drivers. They enable energy saving features that might not be possible with the standard drivers. Furthermore, they usually lead to a small performance gain.

Latest version: Download SetupRST.exe from:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technik-Intel-RST-RAID-Treiber

(2) "on device manager, click on Disk drives,double click the SSD, click on Policies and check if both options are checked"

No. By default, only the first box (write cache) is checked. Microsoft does not recommened to check the second box for normal users, as it prevents regular write cache flushing to gain (marginal) performance. This leads to the danger of dataloss in case of a unexpected power loss.

So?

User asked about the device not having the correct name....problem solved.

it's been a long time that Intel chipset is just a label name change on device manager....

about write cache flushing, not always is just a marginal gain on performance and on a laptop the power loss is a very limited issue.

i don't understand your post on an accepted answer thread.

• Typhoon
    Typhoon Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Conerning (1): Although the question of the thread creator was concerning the displayed name, his intention was obviously to install the more specific driver for this device, not only having the correct device name displayed (which is, as you said in the last post, the only thing those chipset "drivers" provide).

Conerning (2): The setting is kind of unprecise, as there are many wrong posts conerning it, and even Microsofts explanation is a little bit vague. I wanted to highlight that your suggested settings are not Microsofts default settings. And i see no reason why a normal user should activate it - its a risk with unknown dimensions and/or bugs and the performance improvement would be worth it at the utmost with a conventional hard drive. Also, batteries can be exhausted and notebooks be powered by AC only. Bluescreens: unknown behavior.

Besides this, i agree that it might be an option for people seeking for the last percentage of performance.