VN7-591G Network adapter problem

Options
SaKeN
SaKeN Member Posts: 1 New User

My VN7-591G has a Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 and can only use, driver version 11.0.0.373. The internet is fine for a while and then drops and I get very little mbps. It goes back to normal when I reconnect my wifi. Is there any way i can fix this without repeatedly having to disconnect and reconnect on my laptop? I can't update to the newest drivers as they don't allow me to connect the a network. I am using windows 10. Thanks

Answers

• PMiner
    PMiner Member Posts: 180 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    does your wifi use only 2.4 Ghz? if so, try changing your wifi from 2.4 GHz to 5Ghz and see if the connectivity and speed are improved. common router IP addresses are labeled on the router, so check their first. you should be able to configure your wifi to 5GHz.
  • sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

Yes, there is a solution. Changing the adapter. Because acer does not update the drivers from their webpage. I am speaking from personal experience. I was always annoyed by the random drops in connection. And no matter what drivers I have tried I never managed to make it work better. Just worse.

• PMiner
    Options
    it would be best not to change the adapter if you can avoid it, so first try changing your wifi GHz from 2.4 to 5. I had this exact problem, and that is how a resolved it.
  • sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

PMiner wrote:
    it would be best not to change the adapter if you can avoid it, so first try changing your wifi GHz from 2.4 to 5. I had this exact problem, and that is how a resolved it.

Nice joke. I have used the "stock" Wifi card on 5 Ghz always (due to the fact that it's a less congested bandwidth) with an Asus RT-AC3200. It's not the problem that the wifi from the router drops it's something related to the card. While I lost the signal on the notebook the wifi was working fine on my other notebook (7 years old, and yes from Acer) and of course on my phone. Why this is not happening with my Killer wireless AC 1535 wifi card? No matter if I use it on 2.4 or 5 Ghz.

Believe me, before I decided to buy another wifi card I've spent a lot of time to install various different drivers and try to see if this will solve the issue.

Unfortunately this is the truth. The support for drivers here is quite poor. I have the impression that the support is OK till the next generation of the notebook comes out, AKA the 591G had good driver support till they launched the 592G. You can see this on the driver versions. Which are from july or september 2015, kinda the exact moment when the 592G was released.

And of course, you can tell me that those are good drivers which don't need to be updated, but the truth is different. You see here the wifi card as example, look on the forum the example with realtek and dolby (which turns off if the microphone is on), and of course the famous 4248 and 4256 drivers for intel HD graphics which are the worst drivers ever created for this notebook. They are installed by microsoft, and recommended by acer, even if they have so many problems that you cannot even imagine. Better use the microsoft basic video driver instead of installing any of those two drivers. And the funny part is that in order to install the latest driver from intel you need to tinker around, because "custom manufacturer driver is installed on the system" and thus the genuine intel one will not install.

• PMiner
    Options
    Sorry sharky. I didn't mean to upset you.