VN7-591G - CPU throttling 100% to 0.78GHz - Antenna tube stuck in CPU fan

jose423
jose423 Member Posts: 8 New User

I found the following lodged in the left fan of the laptop:

IMG_20160515_164155.jpg

The platic tube is removed during assembly. The tube is a protector for the antennas used by the wifi card. They are supposed to be discarded. Somehow, in my case, the tube was discarded into the openings of the left fan(CPU heatsink fan). After removing it, the CPU does not throttle anymore.

When the issue was occuring, I noticed that the CPU was 100% throttled in Intel XTU. I noticed a very faint click sound as the fan was trying to spin, which eventually stopped since it fully jammed by the plastic tube. Finally, there was no air being pushed through the left fan slot when issue was occurring.

As for the other fan, *sigh*, the yellow wire used to control/power it was slightly curved towards the inner fan blades. It was about 2mm away from hitting the fan. This wire was taped in place and not properly cleared from the fan blades.

In summary, if you have throttling issues with CPU, check that the fan is even spinning. This may also be the issue for GPU throttling.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

It's lucky it didn't burn up the fan and the processor.

• jose423
    jose423 Member Posts: 8 New User

I used the laptop for about a week with the fan issue.

I don't know what would have happened to the fan in the long run.

As for the CPU, I believe it has enough passive heat dissipitation at 0.78GHz. I observed the fan behaviour few minutes while in idle and under load. I noticed that as long as the laptop is at 0.78GHz (idling), the fans will stop spinning. I also ran prime95 when the fan was jammed (without knowing at the time) and noticed that the CPU did not allow processing past 30% utilization to keep CPU temp below 50 celcius. I'm confident that the CPU is capable of preventing self-damage at the price of user experience. Youtube videos at 1080p 60fps become very laggy in full screen mode when CPU is throttled 100%.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

That's good. I'm glad you're OK now.