VN7-591G-73Y5 HDD failure? Looking for a replacement?

Options
hodlpu
hodlpu Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, my friend's laptop seems to be showing signs of HDD failure.  It's starting to freeze more often, and when it does, the hard drive seems to click (click of death?).  It also fails and freezes at any attempt to do disk checks.

So I was thinking, why not just upgrade that laptop and change the HDD?  Anyway, I'm not too familiar with changing hardware in laptops.  

So my questions are...

Do you guys also thing it the hard drive failing?  If i were to change that drive completely, what would compatible (SSD or SSHD)?  Also, I  believe this model has an empty M.2 slot if I am not mistaken.  Would it be wise to fill that that M.2 with an SSD and rely on that as a THE primary drive for all purposes?

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

Well I think that the your guess is correct and the HDD is failing.

So you can fit inside an SSD, SSHD, or a HDD in place of the old HDD. It should be 2.5" drive and I don't know the thickness, but I think a 7 mm one would work fine. Probably somebody who has more access to the parts could tell you.

Also the notebook has an M.2 slot SATA III capable, and yes you can install an M.2 SSD (22x80 mm). You can rely on it as primary drive, it will work just fine but you can expect that an SSD will be more expensive. I would install a 128 GB or 256GB M.2 SSD as primary OS partition, and an HDD as the secondary storage drive for files, and so on.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Probably somebody who has more access to the parts could tell you.

The thickness of your current HDD is 9.5mm but you can also install a 7mm one:

Spoiler
    KH.01K08.024HDD.WD.9.5mm.5K4.1TB.SATA3 (yours)
    KH.02K01.019HDD.2.5"5400rpm.2TB.SATA3.32MB
    KH.50004.011HDD.7mm.500GB.5K4.SATA
    KH.50008.044HDD.7mm.500GB.5K4.SATA.8MB
    France