V5 - will it support external display 4k?

Gorbek
Gorbek Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi,

I have Aspire V5-591G-72K9 (it has GeForce GTX 950M). Will it support an external monitor with Ultra HD resolution (3840 x 2160) ?

Regards

Best Answer

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Based on your CPU specification, (because you have also integrated graphics) it will support 4k resolution. But I don't know if at 60 Hz or just 30 or 24? Of course via HDMI not VGA

http://ark.intel.com/products/88967/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

• Gorbek

This is what I was afraid of Smiley Sad    This notebook has only HDMI port which means max frequency for 4k would be just 30Hz or even 24Hz. Do you have any experience just a low frequency? Is it even acceptable (not for Games\Movies - more to deal with applications, tools etc.)

• sharky25k

Hi,

I never had less than 60 Hz monitor before so I don't know what to say.

HDMI can support 4k at 60 HZ but it depends on the version. So I don't know what version has acer implemented. You need higher than HDMI 1.4 to support 60 Hz. I think 1.4 supports just 30 Hz. If you have the equipment around you can give a try to see how it will workSmiley Happy

I was not expecting you to use the external monitor for 4k gaminig, because obviously you don't have the hardware to run 4k for games.

• Gorbek

OK, now I guess all's clear. This laptop won't handle 4k 60Hz - both the GTX 950M and Internal builtin card doesn't support HDMI 2.0 and the laptop doesn't have DP... I'm done.

Now, one more question - will it handle WQHD (2560x1440) or WQXGA (2560x1600) at 60Hz of course and via HDMI 1.4?  Taking into account HDMI 1.4 can handle max 340Mhz, this should work but I am afraid I might be missing something Smiley Happy

AND - thank you for your response, I really appreciate your help. 

• sharky25k

Hi,

As it's written on this reddit post HDMI 1.3 can support 1440p@60Hz so I think you will not have any problem with these resolutions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3uu0ul/1440p_60hz_monitor_do_i_need_displayport_or_hdmi/

• Gorbek

Perfect! I've just order my new monitor Smiley Happy  Thank you for your help!