V5-591G touchpad issues after windows anniversary update

Options
denis550
denis550 Member Posts: 6 New User

My touchpad is unusable. After the windows 10 1607 anniversary update my touchpad is not working good, it is skipping and lagging a lot. The problem only occurs when the laptop is using the Intel iGPU.The only solution that i have found is using the Nvidia GPU.

I have tried updating touchpad and gpu drivers but it doesn't help. I have tried using all Synaptics drivers that i could find. Currently using 19.0.25.5.

The touchpad is set to Advanced in the BIOS and Windows is showing it as precision touchpad (all gestures work but very poorly).

I'm also using Ubuntu in dualboot and the touchpad is working normally. 

I guess that this is a I2C driver issue, and I have tried reinstalling the chipset and serial IO drivers but it didn't help.

Answers

• tony410197
    tony410197 Member Posts: 17 New User
    Options

That's weird. My touchpad works normally. I just super hate it when my hand is wet Smiley Frustrated

• denis550
    Options

I fixed it sort of. After installing Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and undevolting my cpu i noticed that my touchpad works normally when the program is running. It even works when the program is minimized to tray.

Now I don't have to run Chrome and simmilar apps with the high-preformance Nvidia processor option. I hope that new drivers will resolve my issue completely.

• tony410197
    tony410197 Member Posts: 17 New User
    Options
    Oh cool, may I ask which bios version you currently use to undervolt your cpu? I was trying to undervolt my cpu too but the laptop won't let me. It keep saying 0GHz
  • denis550
    Options

I'm running the latest bios 1.12 and my cpu is the i7 6700hq but I think that it should work on other i5/i7 cpu's too. My system is stable with an -175mV cpu undervolt and -100mV on the iGPU. It lowers the temps by a few degrees.

• ObsessedGeorge
    ObsessedGeorge Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi, my model is the V5-591G-546P and I've been having the problem with the laggy touchpad ever since the Anniversary update was installed on my laptop in August. The touchpad's vendor is Elan and I've discovered that if I install the Elan filter driver, things get worse. I checked the Basic mode and the lag dissappears (though not as precise as I would want it to be). I'm using Advanced mode though because of the gestures.

Who's to blame for the problem? Elan for not fixing their driver, or Acer for not pressuring them to fix it? Either way, I'm not happy with this. Also this laptop doesn't support Windows 7, so I'm stuck with Windows 10.

I have let this slide for too long. I need a solution from Acer and fast.

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi ObsessedGeorge,

Can you check whether you have Precision Touchpad as well, you can do that by going to Settings, Devices and clicking Touchpad in the left pane.

• ObsessedGeorge
    ObsessedGeorge Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

brummyfan2

Yes, I have a precision touchpad.

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

You can switch certain functions off(disable) and see whether it helps, you can reduce the speed, sensitivity etc. on the same page, Precision touchpad also requires slightest of touch than Synaptics or Elantech, it was a nightmare for me initially but my fingers got used to it and I like this touchpad.

If you are unhappy with your settings, you can revert to original settings by pressing "Reset" button down the page. You don't need any drivers, Windows will find the necessary driver. HTH.