V5-591G USB 3.0 transfer speeds extremely low

Options
Joseph_87
Joseph_87 Member Posts: 9 New User

Greetings,

I have some persistent problem with my brand new V5-591G laptop. The problem is not so serious as annoying. I'm using Windows 10 Home Edition, and have a TOSHIBA 1TB SATA-III (6Gbps) drive installed in a raidsonic icy box ib-273stu3 (ExFAT formatted) to the notebook with the stock usb 3.0 cables. My transfer speeds from the notebook to the drive using USB 3.0 cable and USB 3.0 port is 6.34MB/sec. Connecting the drive to the USB 2.0 port using a USB 2.0 cable my transfer speeds are where they should be at ~40MB/sec range.

The more annoying part of the USB 3.0 is the 0x80070079 - The semaphore has timed out error which I can only get around by uninstalling the USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller 1.0 (Microsoft) driver and then reinstall it; but as I said it only affects both of the USB 3.0 ports.

I also thought it might be a faulty connector or HDD error so I ran a HDTune benchmark which resulted:HDTune USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0

Now-now, by copying a file I'm nowhere near even the minimum value for the USB 3.0 benchmark. I installed the chipset driver provided by acer but it did nothing at all, the problem persists. Is this a problem caused by microsoft's USB 3.0 driver? Anyone experienced similar issue?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Are you saying the Transfer rate for 2.0 is 33.66MB/sec faster than the 3.0?

• Joseph_87
    Options

Somewhat,

By copying a 15GB log file through the only USB2.0 port I get 40MB/sec transfer speed, while doing the same in either if the USB 3.0 ports, in 90% of the time I end up getting 'The semaphore timed out' 0x800.... error, and in 10% of the time 3.5-5.4MB/sec transfer speed for the very same external HDD. HDTune says a minimum of 54MB/sec but I'm notwhere near that when copying an actual file in Windows 10 explorer.

• Joseph_87
    Options

Thanks for trying to help. So, I removed the Intel IO driver and chipset drivers. Restarted the PC then started the BIOS updated after which I installed the IO and chipset drivers again and restarted the PC. The current speed for file transfer on a 38.2GB log file was 1.34MB/sec when the 0x80070079 error popped up with the fairly similar "The semaphore timeout period has expired." message. The same applies for my USB 3.0 Kingston Data Traveler pendrive, so it's not affecting just my external HDD but every USB 3.0 device. Plugging them back in to USB 2.0 amd I have a steady 41.4MB/sec transfer speed which is stable and doesn't drop suddenly like on USB 3.0 ports. The other thing that I notice is that when the transfer speed of the file transfer drops to 0 bytes/sec using the USB 3.0 port, the whole explorer.exe hangs up as nothing is responsive until it times out. I guess, I can blame that on Microsoft?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

the USB flash drive how is formatted?

NTFS?

can you take a screenshot of USB hub on your device manager?

windows logo key + x

device manager

click on USB serial BUS controller to expand tree

take a screenshot and post it here.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Joseph_87
    Options

Both the flash drive and the external hdd are ExFAT but the same thing happens with NTFS flash drives and HDDs.devmgr.png

• IronFly
    Options

Try the fixes suggested on this video:

• Joseph_87
    Options

Slight changes. Transfer speed starts at 120MB/sec and after 5sec drops down the 3.44KB/sec, then up to 44MB/sec and down again. The only change I can see is that like this I won't recieve semaphore timeouts anymore but the transfer speed is way too hectic and still at least 2 times slower than USB 2.0 transfer speed.

• IronFly
    Options

Since your laptop is brand new, i would contact your seller or Acer support service.

• Joseph_87
    Options

I already did, since HDTune meaures the accurate speeds the official response from the local service was a faulty windows driver as couple dozens of people suffer from the exact same situation on microsoft forums.

• IronFly
    Options

ok...not the answer i would expect, need to wait Microsoft to fix it.

• busyboy
    busyboy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi any update on this?

Im experiencing the exact same thing with an Aspire R14 R5-471T.

• Joseph_87
    Options

Sadly no update... I tried to contact microsoft with the issue through community forums but the responses were hilarious:
     1. I got a link that had nothing to do with USB 3.0 but Network file transfer.

2. Got another link that was on turning off hibernation in the windows.

3. I had to uninstall my kaspersky total security and enable windows defender but of course this changed nothing.

4. They were persistent it wasn't a driver error, even tho I can copy the same file on the same port to the same place from under Fedora 23 WS with 118MB/sec. For this they let me know, that I should not use external HDD from windows and linux because the HDDs doesn't "like" this and can cause bad sectory. This was the first time I heard anything like that...

5. Yet again, I had to turn on better berformance policy which well changed nothing, and again they were persistent that this wasn't a driver issue, even tho the 0x80070079 error won't pop if I uninstall USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller 1.0 (Microsoft) driver and restart the PC. In that case the transfer speed becomes USB 2.0 (41MB/sec) on USB 3.0 port. Of course the driver is resinstalled after the PC restarts.

So I pretty much gave up, I even tried Windows 7 to see how it behaves and bammmm USB 3.0 transfer speed. Not on Windows 10 sadly... apparently if the manufacturer doesn't make specific driver we're out of luck. On my desktop with ASUS drivers the USB 3.0 transfer speed to the very same HDD with the exact same file is stable ~100MB/sec.