V5-591G-50MJ freeze and crashing (PLZ help!)

Options
CosmicDust
CosmicDust Member Posts: 42 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

So I just got this (was recertified) a few days ago and not long after I got a blue screen crash, as I recall not doing much at all, maybe Firfox was open with a tab or two and that's it. Then, just today, I was on Youtube w/ Chrome and it froze. At first, just the window, but then Task manager seemed to stop responding, so I clicked restart and as it was shutting down I saw a quick error message.

So, in event viewer, from the crash today I got "Event 41, Kernel-Power, Critical", bug check codes are all 0. I can't recall when the first crash was, and I don't see any other critical events.

I also see quite a few other warnings for Kernel-Processor-Power, event 37.

Downloading Whocrashed right now, I'll post the results shortly.

Answers

• CosmicDust
    Options

Well, Whocrashed says (of the first crash, on Saturday):

This was probably caused by the following module: qcamain1.sys (Qcamain10x64+0x1122C8)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1D8 (0x3, 0x3, 0x0, 0x0)
    Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: qcamain1.sys .

It doesn't seem to have registered the error from yesterday as a crash.

Also, it has been slow to respond since I got it. At first, I noticed it when trying to pause a youtube video, it took like a full second or two to register the click. But it went beyond Youtube, and even the browser. Recently, opening apps and today clicking any button on MS Paint have had the same result, a second or two delay. I really love the specs on this computer so I don't want to return it, but these are some worrying red flags, and I don't have very long of a warranty because it's refurbished. Someone please help!

EDIT: I am using the integrated graphics card, not the GTX, but that should be able to handle youtube and basic operations of course.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

that report is related to Qualcom WiFi driver.

can you please check under Device manager/network adapters the model of your wifi adapter?

also report the BIOS version on your laptop:

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

report BIOS DATE/Version string

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • CosmicDust
    Options

Thank you for the response.

Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A. It says the drivers are up to date.

I know the BIOS is quite out of date, but I was nervous to mess with it.

BIOS: Insyde Corp. V1.05 11/5/2015

I forgot to mention that Windows did a seemingly pretty big update the day after that crash, and I updated a few drivers since. I'm hoping maybe out of date drivers, etc. were the cause, assuming the refurbishers did a fresh install of Win 10.

At least the crash can be attributed to something I can keep an eye on, but any idea why it would be so slow to respond sometimes? That's almost worrying me more than the crash now...

I hope all this can be resolved quickly because the return policy only gives me 7 more days and I'd hate to send it back.

Thank you again!

• CosmicDust
    Options

Okay, so I was just browsing on Chrome with three tabs, nothing demanding, when it froze up. After a minute or two, it came back with the messge that the page cannot be reached, and I saw my wifi was disconnected. In device manager, the Qualcomm adapter said no drivers were installed, but when I went under the "driver" tab, it said it was installed and up to date. I tried to enter network settings but after the window for that opened, it would not respond to clicking buttons/links. After a couple tries at that, I restarted, which brought me to the blue "restarting" page and just stayed there, with the dots swirling around seemingly indefinitely. By the time that the screen went to sleep, I gave up waiting and forced shutdown by the physical button.

Now that it's rebooted, wifi is working. However, the first two apps I tried to open took several clicks before just one opened and the other did not at all.

The one that did open is Acer Care Center and I see it has a driver that can be updated (Wireless LAN Driver NFA344). This is the weird part, it's one of the many that were listed under Network Adapters in device manager when I'd looked before, but it is now gone, as well as several similarly named adapters.

EDIT: Updated/installed that driver and all the WAN Miniport adapters are back, but I don't see the LAN driver. IDK if that's normal or not, just noting it.

• IronFly
    Options

so...is wifi working after the drivers update using Acer care center?

ethernet adapter is missing?

• CosmicDust
    Options

It was working after I restarted. I don't see anything labeled as ethernet. Here is a picture of what is showing in device manager:

adapters.PNG

Also, just now, when creating that with snipping tool, I had another issue that I've noticed on this; when clicking with the physical button and dragging across the touchpad at the same time, the cursor moves at like half speed.

• IronFly
    Options

1) uninstall Avast and use only windows defender as antivirus, is good enought and doesn't kill your system performance

2) LAN adapter is Realtek PCIe GBE

• CosmicDust
    Options

Okay, Avast was pre-installed so I was just using the trial version anyway. At this point, I have 4 days left to return and I'm probably going to because at this point I don't have time to find out whether or not Avast makes a difference. And too many little issues. But do you think that was the cause of all the issues (slow response, freezing), or just the crashes?

Hopefully Newegg has a reasonably comparable model in stock. I'll give another Acer a shot, and get rid of Avast from day one with that one. How could they not know a factory installed program has compatablity issues though?

Stupid laughably short return window... I bet they'll offer me something with an integrated graphics card and 128gb SSD... or an E5.

• IronFly
    Options

i would try it without Avast. Smiley Happy

• CosmicDust
    Options

Well, it crashed again. Same report from Whocrashed; qcamain1.sys

• IronFly
    Options

Good Smiley Happy

download and install the latest Qualcom drivers:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=2120&lang=en

100% trustable website

unzip and then run the installer.exe

• CosmicDust
    Options

Well I did the automatic driver update through device manager and this time it did upgrade (before it said it was up to date). It's now version 4.0.2.217, which I don't see listed  in your link. Before, I think it was 11.0-something?

• IronFly
    Options

Because you version number is probably the Acer's custom version, the other is the generic Qualcom.

so, try it with the automatic update version, if it still crash, update with the link i posted.

• CosmicDust
    Options

Well, it's going back tomorrow, but they have the exact same model, also refurbished, in stock. So I'll probably get that and update everything (including the BOIS? I never did that on this one) and we'll see...

• CosmicDust
    Options

Well I got the replacement, and it just crashed with an error pointing to Qualcomm again. Right now, it's version 12.0.0.137.

Downloading the newer version from your link now.

• CosmicDust
    Options

Well, I uploaded the new driver and I think the day after the crash it did one of those big Windows updates, too. Hasn't crashed since, but I am still wary. The return period is only 14 days. I was lucky that the other one displayed it's issue quickly and frequently. I really hope this one doesn't just start crashing again after the return window closes. Not sure what to think or do here...

• CosmicDust
    Options

Well, it hasn't crashed, but the touchpad does randomly decide to stop allowing a two finger scroll and just now has stopped registering tap to click, except sometimes, but when it does, it thinks I am dragging and highlights or drags objects. Really frustrating. I don't know what to do here, because there aren't any comparably equipped laptops in this price range, and I really wanted to like it.