V5-573PG wi-fi connection extremely slow

Options
robertoluna
robertoluna Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi -

I've been wrestling with this V5-573 notebook for weeks. It connects via wireless, but the connection is extremely slow. Other laptops in the house get 30MB down, and this one varies between 3 and 5MB down. 

This started happening a month after it upgraded to Windows 10. I've tried running Windows Update, but it does not find any driver updates.

It is showing bluetooth errors in Event Viewer, so I've tried to disable/uninstall/reinstall the driver. I've tried to update disable/uninstall/reinstall the Qualcomm wireless card.

I've tried using Device Manager to search for new wireless and bluetooth drivers, but Windows says it has the latest.

I tried to download the latest drivers from https://account.acer.com/hub/products.do, but Windows did not want to install them by browsing from Device Manager. I thought it worked, but the driver version number stayed the same.

I'm sure I'm close, but just stymied.

Thanks.

Answers

• robertoluna
    Options

For what it's worth, here is info on the drivers in question (what the laptop has and what I found on the Acer site:

Atheros Bluetooth driver:
    Computer has = v8.0.1.244
    Acer offers = v10.0.1.0

Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 wireless driver
    Computer has = v10.0.0.285
    Acer offers = v10.0.0.318

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

You can try this so Windows 10 will let you try other drivers.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

• robertoluna
    Options

I tried that solution, but the Device Installation dialog does not offer me the options described.  It is either Yes or No. When I click No and save changes, I don't get the additional prompts to pick Never install driver software from Windows Updates.

I tried installing the driver again after setting that option to No, but it continued to tell me that the installed wireless driver was the latest.

I eventually got it to revert to an older version of the driver (3.0.2.182 which I assume is the Win 7 driver), but now I can't get it to go back to the 10.0.0.285.

Any other suggestions?

• robertoluna
    Options

Okay, I was able to upgrade the wireless driver to the latest version from the Acer web site.

I had to uninstall the current driver from Device Manager, and then run the Setup.exe file in the folder where I extracted the driver files. (Windows complains that is not safe, but it worked.)

I rebooted the machine and it shows the latest driver (10.0.0.318). Looks like the Bluetooth errors are gone from Event Viewer too.

Unfortunately, that didn't fix my speed problem.  When I run a speed test, I am still getting 3MB down / 12 MB up.

So I guess I've been chasing the wrong issue.  Now where do I look?

Thanks!

• philetus
    Options

Download Wifi Analyzer to your phone and see how many other routers are using the same channel you are.When you're done, uninstall it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

What is make of your router and modem?

How far is your laptop from the router?

Have you tried rebooting the modem and router,Shut down laptop, unplug modem, router, wait a minute, plug them in and start laptop

• robertoluna
    Options

Thanks philetus -

I'm reviving this thread again because I still can't get any improvement with this laptop. I've rebooted the modem and router and restarted the laptop several times. 

The laptop gets the same connection speeds if it is next to the router as it does if it's 20 ft. The room where it is mainly used is on the other side of the wall from the router, so it's never more than 20 ft away.  Other laptops (phones, and an iPad) all surf just fine in the same room.

The modem is a Netgear CMD31T and the router is a Netgear WNR2000.  

My son took the laptop to his girlfriend's house and had exactly the same problem. Very slow connection right next to the wifi, and it slowed down and dropped if it was taken 15-20 ft away.

Otherwise he just sits near the router using a LAN cable now, because the wireless connection is so terrible. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Do you have any other suggestions for things I can try?

Thanks!
    Bob

• robertoluna
    Options

Forgot to say that I tried wifi analyzer, and there is currently one other router on the channel for my router. Houses are fairly far apart here.  Mine fluctuates between -50dBM and -60dBm, while the other one is around -80dBm. Not sure if that is good or bad.

• philetus
    Options

If it's not another Windows driver problem, it could be the antenna is not securly connected to the wifi card.

They have been known to come off sometimes or there is something wrong with the Wifi card. Since it happened after you upgraded to Win 10, I would vote for Win 10.

You might look at this,

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/

There is another Wifi adapterin the parts list for this laptop. It is a WLAN Intel WLAN 7260.HMWANG.

It might do the job or Windows 10 could mess this one up too.