V5-571P

Options
Naga
Naga Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello, new on here and new to lap-tops, although I've had some battles with PC.

Recently bought the V5-571P for my partner, with Win10 installed...was working more or less OK until somehow got a malware which was re-routing URLs randomly so could not even get to an on-line malware remover; the standard MS Windows Defender did not detect it.

So I re-installed Win 10 from scratch; then to find that  Win 8 drivers are available and the machine is not on the supported list for upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10.  The Win8 drivers , not surprisingly, don't seem to work.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a low cost solution here?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

When you installed Windows 10 from scratch, did you remove all the partitiond from the HDD?

• Naga
    Options

No I did not remove the partitions, but I did do a complete ( do not save files and settings) re-install.

• Naga
    Options

I mean, from a USB stick and not an internal re-set.

I believe the re-director malware came from the local government website as my partner clicked a link in an eMail reminder from the public library.

I assumed that a clever mal-ware like that would probably have infected the back-up or reserve as well, because I did actually do an internal reset a little while ago and it seemed to be OK after that. 

• philetus
    Options

Is the laptop fixed now?

• Naga
    Options

No is is not.

I meant I did an internal re-set some time ago for a different reason.

When this malware disrupted eveything, I did a re-set and nothing changed., so I did a clean install and now have this problem with the drivers,  which are for Win8 as supplied by Acer and do not seem to install properly.

• philetus
    Options

When you say Win 8, it's 8.1?

• Naga
    Options

Thanks for your patience.  Yes I have now got both sets of drivers, 8 + 8.1

I'llsee how it goes... Don't have a lot of time actually and health is very poor, so its a bit of a trial for me.

Seems that upgrading to Win10 is not a very good idea if the drivers are not forthcoming and better to stick with Win 8.