V5-561p/touch won't wake from sleep, lost network connection, graphic fail mssgs

Nikita7085
Nikita7085 Member Posts: 7 New User

1 day, DK how long after,  Bitdef automatically updated to Win 10, my pc wouldn't wake from sleep no matter what I tried.    All lights on except hard drive.   Have to hold power button 5 sec till lights start going out, let up, then press it again.   At 1st it would cycle thru like hard reset.  I tried so many things that I DK what changed it,  poss letting screen turn off early but lengthened sleep to 5 hrs & not allow deeper sleep,  but now when it reboots it doesn't make me sign in all over like a real start up.  It looks like it,  starts w/ Acer screen then everything loads and I don't have to log in every time now.   It was annoying due to having to login to Windows but also Bitdef, and I feel like I am damaging my pc by hard re-setting w/ power button everyday.  

I wasn't able to try the Intel Managemt Component update. I can't update graphics from Acer b/c they don't offer one for my pc & Intel read my drivers & said that Acer has modified them & to get them from Acer. But I rolled back driver once to no avail and the next time I chked it,  no rollback was available & Intel is the driver that updates.   I couldn't use a restore point b/c all that was avail were 5 RP but only w/in the past few weeks,  2 or 3 were on the same day resulting from Intel.  Now device driver gets graphics updates from Intel w/ no mssgs from Intel. 

My built-in touch mouse stopped working,  then I would be watching a movie or video from files on my pc & every sec or 2 a bottom rt mssg pops up saying Intel graphics failed but recovered.   Then best of all,  I was perusing the Internet and it dropped.   I had no Internet.  And my Wifi light was out & the fn + wifi key did nada.  My network,  router, etc is from my Vista tower plugged in via ethernet & we use a network w/ security to use the Internet on all other tablets,  pc's,  etc.  Every other device still had Internet except Acer laptop.   That was about a month ago.   I did so many things that i don't know what fixed it but I can connect to the other band of my router but not the network that is using the other band of the router.   So I have internet again but that's the only problem I was able to sort of fix. All the others are still occurring.   Now it's tax time and I have to get started on them so I won't have much opportunity to chk emails,  watch for help here,  nor continue to work on trying to fix it myself (not much until taxes are done and that will take about a month or so). But I will chk in here now and then until they're done or my pc dies completely.  Any help would be appreciated,  thx in advance. 

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

1.  Go to Acer downloads and install the Windows 8.1 Intel Management Engine driver (you have to download it, then extract, and then install it). 

561p.PNG

2.  Go to Acer downloads and get all of your Windows 10 drivers. ( You have to download them, extract them, and install them.

561p10.PNG

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Nikita7085

Thx for reply, the Intel Mgmt update is for Win 8 & I've got Win 10, should i still install it?  Also, I've noticed something else:  When I power down my pc completely & properly, it goes into the same mode as it does when I let it go into Sleep mode.  I can hear a fan (I guess) noise quite often.  There r 4 lites normal & the same 2 lites r lit as when sleeping as powered off.  The HD & Wifi are out.  The other 2 remain lit.

RE:  Intel mssg saying it failed but recovered occurs repeatedly about 5 times whrn viewing vid or movie w/ my files & app (usually Cyberlink but has happened w/ Winamp) but not w/ Netflix & I use that a lot.  But when it happens, the video still plays, I have to click the msg off sev times, thus it causes short delay but then it works fine.

RE: Internet - dropped while using it & it took me 3 wks to get it back.  About a wk later I lost it again & since I didn't know what fixed it due to doing too many things at same time, it wasn't easy to know what to do this last time.  I went thru all troubleshooting steps like re-setting adapter, renewing IP, chking all settings, etc.  Then I tried my tablets & they had no prob w/ internet, so I powered & cycled down/up the router/modem & I think that worked b/c I noticed the 2nd band of router was not broadcasting & that's the only one my pc will connect to.  The tablets use the smaller band.  However, I didn't do that the 1st time.  Unless I did it in my sleep & don't remember. 

I don't understand what happened to all my Restore points.  I increased the size for it & manually set RP often, along w/ auto ones set  b/c of the prob I was having, then I was going to try to restore it back but it was weird - Intel set RP 2 to 4 times a day for 2 - 3 days in a row recently, b/c the furthest back I could go was about 3 - 4 wks.  I chcked for more results & I think 1 one RP showed up a couple wks back further & I think it was a Win update.  That's all there was.

I'm wondering if I should try a BIIOS update or set bk to default settings; also I've read about increasing TDR delay in Registry to inc time for (I've forgotten now but something like giving things more time to load before they time out) ?  And lastly, work solely on Power Managemt issues somehow.  That's the 1st & most consistent issue.  I've gone thru everything in Device Mgr to chk for driver updates, even telling it to search on my pc where I downloaded & saved few drivers we've mentioned, but always said the best driver is installed (it also says my touchpad & built-in mouse are working properly & they don't work at all.)  I have my screen to turn off after 30-45 min (no prob waking screen up at this point), increased sleep time to 5 hrs so I don't have to hold power button for 5 sec & as soon as I see 1 lite go out, I let up & immediately press back down, b/c once it goes to sleep, hybrid, hibernate or when I do a normal shutdown even, nothing else will bring my pc back on.  Most of the time now I don't have to login to my pc like I did when it 1st started happening, but less often I don't now - it goes to Acer screen then it loads up w/out my login.  It's aggravating to login in like it's being powered up from a shut down (when that does happen) & I DK what causes the distinction (even tho it wasn't "off") & it's not set to require a passwd when waking from sleep set in settings.  I changed all power settings not to let it go into deeper sleep but no diff.

Anybody want to tackle any of that?  I'd appreciate it.

[edited to remove unwanted spoiler tag]

• Nikita7085

Sorry I didn't repond for so long but my mom died & I had a hard time getting thru it. I probably tried everything except downloading drivers for Win 8.1.  I checked here for updates for my Win version and Intel site but none of that worked.  When I have the time & patience to see if I can get it running again, I'll try your suggestions.  Thank you for your help.  For people like me, we need & appreciate people like you.  Thx again.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

That's ok.  Sorry to hear of your loss.

Step 1 in my previous post should fix the sleep/shutdown issue where the screen is black and the fans still run.  I'm assuming you have Haswell-ULT i5-4200U in your V5-561P.  Please keep in mind that I'm only suggesting that you install that one Windows 8.1 driver (Intel Management Engine driver).  There's a known compatibilty issue with Windows 10 and Haswell-ULT so that is why you must use that Windows 8.1 Intel Management Engine interface driver.

Step 2 in my previous post will hopefully fix any other issues that you're having after you install those Windows 10 drivers.

It can be tricky getting some Acer Haswell-ULT models that came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 to run Windows 10 properly.  It can be done, but it can sometimes require a lot of time (and a little frustration).

You can always go back to Windows 8.1 if my suggestions don't work.  You can try to reset your PC to factory defaults using the Alt-F10 method, or you can use your USB factory default recovery drive or you can order your original Windows 8.1 from the Acer Store.  And lastly you can try vanilla Windows 8.1 and then get your drivers from Acer's website.  Please make sure you backup your important personal files because you will lose them if you don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvFRTfFGCgY

https://www.youtube.com/user/AcerAmericaService/videos

http://store.acer.com/index.html

I'm not an Acer employee.