V5 552P-X617 Computer overheats at the Processor and shuts down, what are my possibilities?

Options
NotHappyV5
NotHappyV5 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

My V5 552P-X617 lost all the hard wired ram so I replaced the external ram with an 8GB card. Two days later the computer shuts down due to overheating. With the back cover off the heat is coming from the processor (I think) It is the big square thing under the heat dispersment bar which runs between the two fans. The fans are working and blowing fine. And Ideas as to what I may do to fix this?

Answers

• hedgui
    hedgui Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Yo, I got your back.

First, you should try to reflow your onboard RAM back to life or get a new motherboard or both.

Let me break it down, as a fellow v5 owner.

v5-552p-x617

It's a quadcore, designed to operate 2500mhz per core.

Acer (OR AMD AND THEIR HAX) have released this cpu and chip operating at 3200mhz per core, stock from the manufacturer.

This complex set of variables between voltages is confusing to most people.

What it means to you is this.

This is an overclocked machine - it's designed to be overclocked.

In realtime, when my v5-552p-x617 idles, each core is hitting 3.2ghz.

THATS 12.8GHZ of gaming power in a laptop, you bet it's gonna run hot.

There is a SOFTWARE called NoteBook FanControl, with a v5 preset (the preset is for v5-572g but it works).

Without this app, my machine will run 86 degrees and it will fry the board. I am on my second motherboard.

With this app, and fans set to 100% always on, it idles around 60 to 74 degrees. Left at auto, its right up to 86.

Now, lets say I take this 12.8GHZ and game with it.

That voltage is dropped FROM 12.8 to no less than 10ghz, because you're using it.

WHEN I AM GAMING I HAVE MEASURED THIS MACHINE TO BE 35DEGREES.

Let me repeat without caps.

When I am gaming, I have measured this machine to be 35degrees.

How does this work?

Because hackers and gamers designed this AMD Acer product yo.

Idle and it warms up. Game and apply a load and it cools down, just like it SHOULD.

Leave it alone doing nothing for a week it would probably burn up.

v5-552p-x617

It idles really hot, average reports are 60-80.

Hard disk stock overheats.

Stock fan settings are not critical enough.

I love this machine, it's done pretty well. It would be better with a different freq. RAM that matches CPU voltage closer, like DDR4 options, however this is DDR3 so it's fine.

The best thing you can do for this machine is this.
    Buy an extra fan setup and some highest quality thermal paste. Maybe 2 or 3 extra fan setups.

Run the fans 100 percent of the time if the machine is on, clean dust new paste etc.

I dig this computer. I have one and I plan to buy another just for backup in case this one dies.

It's overclocked, that's what's up. It's gonna run 2x as hot no matter what.

That's why I say invest in fans and replace them ASAP when they die and hit it with new paste and you have a beast laptop.

I use mine for video game design, playing video games, video editing, and administrative tasks, and being an AMD, it cools down when I game and heats up when I tell it to do clerical stuff. Remember, designed by HACKERS AND GAMERS. It is like my 2 stroke bicycle. It runs GREAT uphill and under heavy load. It can catch on fire if it idles for 10 minutes at heavy throttle.

Just idling around here on the internet just now writing this, it's 74 degrees in my laptop. I fired up a PC game and the temp just dropped to 56 in about 3 minutes. And as I mentioned, I've seen it drop to 35 under load. I see it say 60-70 and I just divide what I see by 2 and say, for being overclocked that's really weird but I guess that's what normal looks like nowadays.

It's funny though, yeah? Look at it and don't compute, it heats up and we wonder why.

Compute intense games and max out the fan and it cools down.

Can we really complain?

Sure - that it doesn't come with a free extra fan and better fan control.

I resurrect this thread in memory of AMD, the crazy technologists who designed a 12 gigahertz laptop which thrives in room temperature weather. I dig this model laptop, v5-552p-x617 is a workhorse, a powerhouse, and it's pretty affordable for honestly being a cheap unstable overclocked gaming machine. Invest in a bunch of thermal paste and fans and that freeware NoteBook FanControl and donate him money. 50 dollars in spare fans and thermal paste is a cheap insurance plan that will keep a V5 alive for at least a decade.

For specs, check out http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A10-Series%20A10-5757M.html

Max temp for this chip is 105C degrees, keep it out of the 80s and 90s and you should be fine.