V5-531 Broadcom Wifi Driver Causing Blue Screen Win 7

Options
jwyattn
jwyattn Member Posts: 4 New User

I have an Aspire V5-531 running Windows 7 Enterprise that gets a blue screen every time I leave it sit for a half hour or so. After thinking it was Kaspersky for a couple weeks I decided to clean boot it and the problem went away. So I tested drivers which took forever and have finally narrowed it down to the Broadcom WiFi driver.

The problem now is that Acer only provides that driver and an Atheros driver but the Atheros driver doesn't work. I'm not sure what to do to get a working driver because Acer sucks and won't let me call them if my laptop is out of warranty. One more thing; when uninstalling the Broadcom driver, it doesn't look like it is making progress until it blue screens then I restart it and the driver is uninstalled.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Atheros=Qualcomm and can't work on Broadcom hardware.

can you please post the WiFi Broadcom Model?

if it's 43xx

download those drivers clicking on telecharger:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=2014&lang=fr

double click the file to unzip and then run the installer, 100% trustable website.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jwyattn
    Options

Hey, that driver didn't work. It would connect to my network but couldn't aquire an IP for some reason. I tried installing a lenovo driver for this wireless card but it continued to blue screen. Now I'm going to try to replace that card with a Qualcom card if I can find one.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

• IronFly
    Options

not aquiring an IP, it's hard to narrow as issue.

one thing to try is to reset winsock

windows logo key + x

select command prompt (admin)

type

netsh winsock reset

when it's done, close the command prompt and reboot your PC.

• jwyattn
    Options

I tied resetting winsock but it didn't do anything. When I ipconfig it shows my autoconfig IP as 169.254.xx.xxx which isn't in our IP scope. It is also showing the wrong subnet mask, 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0, and isn't showing a default gateway

• IronFly
    Options

that's DHCP not working and can be a simptom of faulty wifi adapter.

• jwyattn
    Options

Well thanks for the reply but it blue screened while I was at lunch so this driver isn't going to work either. I'll update when I have more info.