V3 772g Battery wear

Options
Shenya
Shenya Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

So HWMonitor has shown over the last 3 years the decline of my battery, from  wear level of 12% at new to currently 45%. I wondered if using Acer's manual recommendation of conditioning the battery (which I did when I first got it) by running it down to the point the battery low warning appears, then plugging in the AC until it fully charges, rinse and repeat until this process has been completed 3 times.

First time today I did the discharge and plugged the AC back in at 6%. It not only didn't take very long watching Netflix on chrome to get from 100 to 6% (about an hour and 20 minutes) it also charged up (even while still watching the movie) back to 100% before the movie finished.

This time I turn off the AC again and decide to see what happens if I go a little lower. Watching the capacity deplete on HWMonitor it was losing about 15mWh every few seconds and I planned at 3% to flip the switch so the AC fired up again. It got stuck at 5% showing 1474mWh remaining, half an hour after I had started another movie (I didn't start the movie when I started the depletion, just started half an hour before it reached 1474mWh had been browsing prior).

I am now 1 hour and 20 minutes into the movie and the current capacity is still showing 1474mWh and 5%! That's  nearly a whole hour of extra time with no apparent change in capacity.

How do I fix it so that the percentage is reported correctly (and the wear level)? There is no point having the machine set to warn me at 10% and then shut down at 6% (which obviously I turned off to allow me to reach 3%) if clearly there's at least another hour of usage in that time. I mean it's still sitting there looking right at me, the only thing dropping is the current voltage which is now down to 10.279V.

At least half of my battery's capacity seems to be in this last 5% having been at 5% for nearly 1 hour!

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

I don't think you will be able to do something. It has something to to with the chip which analyses the charge level and stops the charging and reports back the levels (it's on the battery).

I have exactly the same issue with an Aspire 5742Z with a wear level of 54% and the ability to use the notebook for almost one more hour after the battery reports 1% remaining.

I tried the calibration, and many other suggestions from the internet. Either the chip has failed, or the chips from the battery have the "planned obsolescence" which in this case would mean that they will steadily report that the battery is degrading even if it's not the case.

While you can use the notebook with this situation, it's still very annoying because you don't get any warning before the battery is completely depleted and thus if you are working on something you never knw when your notebook will shut down and you will lose your work/data.

Well, they want you to spend some money on a replacement, othervise woudn't be funny eh?