V3 772g 9653 mSATA size

Options
Shenya
Shenya Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I solved my issue of not being able to get into BIOS by using the Windows 8 restart to BIOS method and turning off FAST BOOT allowing now F2 and F12 at startup and I'm therefore now ready to install an SSD.

Windows keeps telling me that I'm about to stop receiving updates for it and must get to Windows 10 and having seen all the issues people had with this model going to 8.1 have no intention of ruining a perfectly fine functioning machine in order to try and get updated. Therefore I want to put an SSD in and fresh install Windows 10 to that leaving the existing drive untouched.

I'm looking at mSATA SSD since the price of the HDD Caddy is OUTRAGEOUS and may as well buy a more expensive mSATA since standard SSD + Caddy = $$$ more. However, there seems to be 3 sizes, and the one I was about to purchase comes in 48mm, 60mm and 80mm flavors.

What is the correct size for 772g mSATA?

Best Answer

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

Be careful, you confuse the M.2 form factors with the mSata ones. The 772G have mSATA not M.2 slot.

And it is a normal mSATA slot not a mini one, as I can see here: https://raywoodcockslatest.wordpress.com/2013/11/06/acer-aspire-v3-772g-9829-hardware/

So you will need an mSATA drive with 51 mm. not an M.2 (which yes, can be 22mmx48mm 22x60 mm or 22x80 mm).

• Shenya
    Shenya Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Good spot, thank you. I was indeed looking correctly for mSATA and was not confused until I had an option for sizes, turns out the item was incorrectly listed as mSATA on Amazon. I know now that if I see those sizes they are referring to M.2 and avoid it. I thought it was strange, not one other mSATA had given me an option of sizes.

Much appreciated, Kudos given and answer accepted as solved.