V3-772g-9653 Win 10 CPU heat

Options
Shenya
Shenya Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Having successfully clean installed Windows 10, the only changes I've made are updating the chipset drivers, the sound driver and the Intel & nVidia gpu drivers.

At idle, the system temperature is a couple of degrees C hotter under Windows 10 on the mSATA SSD than it is on Windows 8 on the original HDD. In gaming however, I found the system to be less than satisfactory performance wise in Windows 10. Since I have to run HWMonitor to stop the HDD powering down constantly, I can see why this is. It felt like the game would start smooth, then get choppy, little bit of smooth, choppy so on and so forth. HWMonitor when I come out of the game shows that CPU temps are maxing out. I'm no stranger to this with this laptop, it has done this always, but only on certain games, and not constantly as it is doing at the moment. By that I mean, some games would never get the CPU above 90, and the ones that got it to 100, didn't do so, slow down and then be right back there immediately. There'd be a noticeable big change, and then it'd run good for a while then repeat.

Now it's like it reaches 100 throttles back rather than right down and is doing this at a much faster rate. There's no long period of ok followed by a short fps fall during throttle down, it's a pretty constant sub par fps with very short (second or two) smoother periods. Games that never make it overheat in Win 8 are overheating almost immediately in Win 10, making Windows 10 unusable for gaming.

Is there something I should install (something that was already present from the manufacturer within all that bloat that I never got rid of in the original win 8 environment) or a driver that I am missing which deals with this? If I can stop it from running a bunch hotter in W10 than it does in W8 I can migrate totally to W10 and enjoy the better system performance from having an OS located on a separate SSD.

The SSD does seem to run very warm compared to the original HDD, perhaps the issue I suffer from is caused by the extra heat generated by the mSATA SSD? It hasn't affected temps while running games under Windows 8 though, even though it's another device in the system running at near 50C (and it doesn't get much above that in Win 10 either, sure another 2C on that doesn't translate to 10 or 15C at the CPU?)

Advice appreciated.

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

Be sure that you have the intel management engine installed:

MgmtEngineIntelME (Management Engine)Driver9.5.14.172456.0 MB2015/08/20

Download

Regarding the heat, well first the mSATA drive is much smaller than a HDD, it's not actively cooled (OK, neither the HDD) and it will run hotter than the HDD. Simple, it has a much smaller size and it will dissipate heat at a slower rate than a big 2.5" HDD. But the heat which is generated by the SSD cannot account for the extra heat, and throttling which you are describing.

Now I will be honest with you I don't think that somehow windows 10 can influence the problem as you mentioned.

The game can be choppy if it's on the second HDD and sometimes needs to access some files, and the HDD is in spindown state, so it will make some lag.

I would recommend to use crystal disk info and there go in function---> advanced features ---> AAM/APM control --> here select the second HDD and set the APM to 255 or 128. You will need to do this at each startup though. I am not sure if hwmonitor keeps the hdd always active.

Regarding the CPU, well you can try to clean the fans, and apply new thermal paste it would definetely help. But to be honest I still think that the CPU temps were  similar in windows 8 as well or the CPU was not running at such a high speed before. I am not expecting that windows 10 spins the fans at lower speed, this would be the only way in which I could explain the issue you see. 

Be also sure that the cooling policy is set to active:

http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/activate-or-deactivate-system-cooling-policy-in-windows-10.html

• Shenya
    Options

Hi,

APM on the HDD is not the issue, as long as HWMonitor is running, the HDD never spins down so no issues on that front any longer.

Is the Management Engine version you listed the one it should be? I went to install it and it tells me a newer version is installed (11.0.0.1157). I don't suppose this could be the issue? I hope it's this simple.

Actually having run the game a few days ago in Windows 8 and taking a screenshot of HWMonitor and GPU-Z I noticed a few differences (other than temps) between todays run of same game. I should add, that the ambient temperature today is significantly lower than it was when I did the tests under Windows 8, so it did take longer than usual to overheat showing me that the less than smooth framerate under Win 10 exists even before overheating. It just simply doesn't run as well with the exact same settings, regardless of overheating.

Cooling policy is of course set to active, policy is identical on Win 8 and 10 installs. I too agree that Windows 10 is not spinning the fans any differently, you can hear it at full speed in both installs. It appears that not only does the CPU run much hotter in Windows 10 but the GPU does also. I can also see that the GPU load is at 100% in Win 10 vs 83%, memory controller load 42% Win 10 vs 29% and Bus interface load at 21% Win 10 vs 14%. Actually when I first looked but failed to screenshot the other day in Windows 10, the Bus load was a whopping 30% running the same game.

Whatever is the cause, the fact is that performance of the same game is substantially worse in Windows 10 and both CPU and GPU are getting much hotter trying to run it. I have always used a notebook cooler btw, it's never made a blind bit of difference to CPU temps, but it does seem to do a great job at lowering the SSD temp.

Windows 8 temps:

Screenshot (33).png

Windows 10 temps:

Screenshot (26).png

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi,

The game settings are the same, right?

Yes that's some obvious difference. I don't know it could have something to do with DX12? Since w8 has just DX11? I don't know.

It can also be that the game is not optimized for windows10. But the difference is quite obvious.

Don't you get somehow more FPS in the windows 10 then compared to 8? Also the resolution is the same right? It can be that in a game you could have V-sync active and in the other one not? And this can cause the higher usage of the GPU.

• Shenya
    Options

Hi,

the settings are identical. I copied the config over from the Windows 8 Documents where it was kept. The game does not use DX12 at all. With a tiny few exceptions, every game under Win 10 is running the CPU and GPU heat much higher than it was under Win 8. I did try disabling the V-Sync, this provides minimal improvement to smoothness. V-Sync is indeed on under win 8 with no issues.

I have no clue what it is, I was hoping maybe having done a clean install, something I needed to have was missing. Under Windows 8 I am using a late 2014 nVidia driver and all other drivers are those that shipped with the machine (from 2013). I would understand if the newer drivers in Win 10 did not perform quite as well and might force me to change a few graphic options, but not cause both CPU and GPU to run much hotter.

It's really annoying to have to boot into Windows 8, it takes forever and I am concerned having not upgraded to 8.1 about it's security.

P.S. I don't know if it's related, but another issue I have in Windows 10 is when clicking on a window, it doesn't always come forward. I have to click between windows a LOT sometimes just to get the right one up front, it can be very stubborn. Sounds stupid and inconsequential I know, but it's ENORMOUSLY annoying and really UI breaking.