V3-772G and I7-4700MQ

Options
qbuisson97419
qbuisson97419 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Before I start, yeah, I know this is not a CPU designed for a V3-772G, but still.

I tried to upgrade, but I have some trouble trying to make it work: in the BIOS, it's recognized. But first thing is the fan is screaming whenever I start it. Plus, when I install a new system, it starts freezing after a few restarts, until it won't boot at all, so I need to open and put the old one into.

But question is: I don't think the CPU is broken, since it still works each time I do again the steps listed above. I also have friends who put I7-4810MQ (much more efficient and expensive) and they did not even have to reinstall their system, and everything works like a charm.

What did I do wrong ?

I5-4200M (trying to put a I7-4700MQ, not a 4702 or 4712)

GTX 760M

8GB RAM

500GB HDD

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Yes, you can install i7-4700mq in your model, how did you apply thermal paste, if you used spread method try small blob and let the heatsink spread it, how about the temperatures? are they high when fan makes noise?. Monitor the temps with HWmonitor or similar program, as long as it's a good CPU and you clean everything properly before applying the paste, it should work.

• qbuisson97419
    Options

Hi, thanks for your fast answer

But 1st of all, when you say I can install it, are you talking in a hardware meaning or also software meaning ?

Yeah, I applied correctly thermal paste (I really really thinl so) but temperatures are always high, and it always lead to a forced shutdown and I had to remove it and reput it inside to make it work again for a few restarts. Temps were about 75-85°C, so pretty high I know that. But what really triggers me, is that the compatibility seems to be lower at each restart, meaning crahing more often, and temperature goes higher until it won't even boot. What may cause this issue ?

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

What I meant was that these models are compatible with the particular CPU, you mentioned that you applied thinly, try a different method as I have stated earlier, try removing a memory stick( with one stick only), make sure the heatsink screws are not over tighten(you need only a hand tight), I may be telling you many things you already knew but I don't know thatSmiley Wink Last thing, you have to make sure that the CPU is not at fault by installing in another laptop or checked by a Tech.

• qbuisson97419
    Options

Hi

Thanks again, I'll try that as soon as I arrive home.

I hope that the CPU is not in cause, and even if it was, why would it be working a while and then starting messing, and again working ? That would be strange.

• Shenya
    Shenya Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Since at each restart it seems less and less compatible, this tells us that heat is most likely the culprit. If the CPU has overheated catastrophically at some point then it's threshold before it taps out gets lower and lower until even at a reasonable temperature it won't operate correctly or at all.

If it hasn't had a catastrophic overheating, then you ABSOLUTELY need to get the heatsink off and redo your paste. Also make sure that all the other components that the soft heat spreaders sit on are properly covered. If you have a hair or hairline fracture in the paste you applied, air will be sitting in it and send temperatures soaring. Take Brummyfan's advice and apply a small dob (large rice grain or small pea sized) to the center of the CPU (after THOROUGHLY cleaning both it and the heatsink with rubbing alcohol) then reseat the heatsink.

Bear in mind also, that at least in my experience, Acer's heat dissipation methods are awful. I don't know if your model carries the exact same heatpipe and fan system as in a model that came with a 4700mq, if so you should be fine.

Whilst mine will overheat during gaming, it reaches 100C and throttles back and has done this a thousand times, never once force shutting itself down. Sadly it already sounds like your CPU has had its day. Hopefully by carefully redoing everything you can prove me wrong.

Best of luck

• qbuisson97419
    Options

Thanks for sharing your advices and experiences.

As I said, I'll try to do like both of you said, meaning a small bob on the CPU. In fact, my friend who has the I7-4810MQ does not suffer from heat like I did, even if the TDP is the same.

Plus, the cooling system is pretty nice on my laptop since the max I reached with a I5-4200M (37W) was 70-75°C while full stressed.

I'll give infos as soon as I get home

• Julscm
    Julscm Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, I wanted to know if you finally get the i7 4700mq working on your v3 772g, I have the samemodel and I also want to do this.
    Thanks