V3-771G-6485 HDD Compatibility for 1 TB+

Options
DCnPA
DCnPA Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello,

I know nothing about how to increase space on the hard drive and I desperately need more space. My laptop is almost 3 years old and hasn't given me ANY trouble. I'm VERY pleased with its performance. I have Windows 10 and I think after that was upgraded I lost tons of space. I don't want to see the blue screen of death so please advise on product compatibility for 1 TB. The specs are:

Intel Core i5 3230M 2.6GHz Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz

6GB DDR3 Memory

750 GB HDD

Windows 10 

Thank you!

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Before looking for a new HDD, please do a disk clean, be aware that you will not be able to revert back to your previous installed OS after cleaning.

windows logo key

type

disk cleanup

click on disk cleanup

click on Clean up system files

let it scan

then tick the files you want to delete, it's safe to do it

at the end press ok and let it clean the HDD for you

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

Before looking for a new HDD, please do a disk clean, be aware that you will not be able to revert back to your previous installed OS after cleaning.

windows logo key

type

disk cleanup

click on disk cleanup

click on Clean up system files

let it scan

then tick the files you want to delete, it's safe to do it

at the end press ok and let it clean the HDD for you

• DCnPA
    Options

Thank you ACE Ironfly. I will try as you suggest. I'm a grad student with LOTS of docs and I'm down to 14GB. Not cool for me I don't think. I suppose your technique is something better than diskclean. I've done that a few times too. With your brain, you should not be unemployed! 

• IronFly
    Options

DCnPA, if you have tons of personal files...please don't rely on your laptop HDD only.

think to buy an external USB HDD too or to use some cloud services. Smiley Happy

if you already did a disk cleanup, without doing a system files clean up too, you deleted only a part of temporary files, the biggest are under system files.

• DCnPA
    Options

I'm up to 15.7 but I'd feel better with more. What would you recommend? 

• DCnPA
    Options

I do have an external drive -- now full. I also have Clouds, but my files are all over the place! I thought it'd be better to have them all on my laptop and then back them up to ONE cloud. Is that not a good idea?

• IronFly
    Options

these 2 HDDs are the official Acer replacement:

HDD WD 2.5" 5400rpm 1000GB
    WD10JPVT-22A1YT0, 1TB, 500G/P, ML500M
    SATA 8MB LF+HF F/W:01.01A01 4K drive

HDD TOSHIBA 2.5" 5400rpm 1000GB
    MK1059GSMP/HDD2K61EUL, Capricorn 3BS, 4K
    SATA 8MB LF+HF F/W:GU001J 4K

to be honest, near every HDD it will work on your laptop and if you need a little more speed i would look for a 7200rpm HDD (it will drain a little bit your battery)

Seagate, WD or HItachi...your choice.

About Cloud storage, yes having all your files on a single cloud is goo but:
    1) if you don't have any web connection?
    2) if cloud service is down?

Cloud is good for sure but always have a backup HDD with your files too, just think if your laptop die and the only other PC you have, has not web connection? Smiley Wink

side note:  don't mark all my posts as solution (use kudos instead) or other users will have troubles to find the right one. Smiley Happy