V3-575T-7008 optical drive replacement with hdd or ssd

Options
casarogers
casarogers Member Posts: 2 New User

Does anybody have any ideas about replacing the optical drive with a second hdd for the V3-575T-7008? I cannot find anything regarding this exact model number on the web (model number is Acer Aspire V15 V3-575T-7008). Is this laptop the same as another model # that is more widely known or that is built the same way? I was curious if the optical drive could be replaced with a ssd or hdd (with caddy) and if Acer does this sort of thing (or a 3rd party). I find very little detailed information for the v3-575T-7008 on the web or or from Acer's website and find nothing regarding hardware layout. Where would I find the hardware layout for this laptop without having to open up the laptop?

Again, I cannot find much of anything on the web for this particular model and is frustrating. I am guessing that opening the laptop up voids the warranty and that is not something I willing to do but researching my options yields very little information.

Cheers!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

You don't have to open the laptop.

Remove one screw to remove the optical drive

2016-03-01_0648.jpg

Buy a caddy
    https://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_45&products_id=618&zenid=ac7f2913d6569fa86b929a7dbb550bcb

and a SSD. Use brackets off optical drive. 

• Okidave
    Okidave Member Posts: 26 Troubleshooter
    Options

Will the caddy for the V3-575T-7008 also work for the V3-574G-55UJ? Looks like the same optical drive setup to me.

• philetus
    Options

The configuration of the slots are pretty much all the same so, yes it will probably work.

• casarogers
    casarogers Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I meant to reply to this but got busy and forgot about it.  Thank you so much for the information!  I ended up going with an external case from NewEgg (SYBA model) so that I could move files to it and then plug it into the XBone.  I am going to get this caddy anyway and pick up an extra drive.  If you have any suggestions on a low power / high speed hdd, I am all ears.  Otherwise i will eventually pick up another ssd but the cost is still too high for a secondary drive.

Cheers!

• philetus
    Options

I prefer SSDs myself, but I do buy a few WD Caviar Black 2.5 drives when I need something cheaper (not my laptop).

They run at 7200 RPM instead of standard 5400 drives and the platters are braced on bottom and top instead of standard bottom only. %00GB for around 40 to 50 dollars, but for myself it's usually a Samsung 250gb SSD.

$88 at Newegg with free shipping and (if you don't live in Calif.)no tax isn't bad.