V3-574G black screen and unable to reboot laptop

Shaxx
Shaxx Member Posts: 3 New User

Currently unable to use laptop at all because it has got itself into a state where I can't reboot it to reset.

When "on", the keyboard backlight is on but the laptop has a black screen - and pressing caps lock for example does nothing (should there be a status light?) and pressing Fn+F9 does not toggle the keyboard backlight.  The battery charge light comes on when I plug in the power supply as does the power light when the laptop is supposedly "on".

The obvious thing to try is to hold the power button for 5-10 seconds, but after depressing power for 2 seconds, the power goes off and continuing to hold the power button es nothing further.  Pressing power again after a delay to switch back on brings it back in to the same black screen state as before.

Can anyone help?  I saw a previous answer where the solution was to open up the back of the latop to remove the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes - but have never opened up the laptop before and would rather not as still under warranty.

Machine is an Acer V3-574G-56LU, and I have Windows automatic updates switched on (so has Windows 10 anniversary update for example), and I regularly use Nvidia GeForce driver update for the graphics card.

Best Answer

• Shaxx
    Answer ✓
    Happy ending - turned out to be a dud motherboard.

How's this for service from Acer? Raised a repair case, dropped the laptop off the next day (Friday) at a UPS dropoff, delivery made on Monday to the repair centre, motherboard diagnosed and replaced within 2-3 hours and packaged up for dispatch back to me that morning. UPS return delivery next day (this Tuesday afternoon). Data on hard drive which I was unable to back-up all intact. I'm delighted! Thanks Acer!

Answers

• Shaxx

Quick update on original post.

Found the battery reset pin button on the underside, and depressed it for 4 seconds as per the manual advice.  Laptop is still in the same state - so am beginning to suspect the laptop is trying to boot but not able to (no Acer logo appearing, have tried inserting a USB recovery key but nothing different happens).

I suspect it is bricked - and have raised a warranty repair request. 

But if anyone is able to suggest anything, I'm willing to give it a go!

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

The only suggestion which I would try is to remove the CMOS battery as you suggested above.

But to remove that battery you will need tp open up the notebook, which I think it would not be an easy task.

• Shaxx
    Answer ✓
    Happy ending - turned out to be a dud motherboard.

How's this for service from Acer? Raised a repair case, dropped the laptop off the next day (Friday) at a UPS dropoff, delivery made on Monday to the repair centre, motherboard diagnosed and replaced within 2-3 hours and packaged up for dispatch back to me that morning. UPS return delivery next day (this Tuesday afternoon). Data on hard drive which I was unable to back-up all intact. I'm delighted! Thanks Acer!