V3-112P resume from suspend

eightwt
eightwt Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

I run Linux Mint and Android x86 on my Aspire V3-112P, BIOS 1.03. When I resume from suspend in either OS, the SDcard slot will not wake up. Here is the dmesg log:

[ 252.157701] usb 1-4: reset high-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[ 252.510313] usb 1-3: reset full-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[ 252.993959] PM: resume of devices complete after 1444.108 msecs
[ 252.994817] PM: Finishing wakeup.
[ 252.994823] Restarting tasks ... done.
[ 253.006095] mmc0: 3.3V regulator output did not became stable
[ 253.045863] mmc0: Controller never released inhibit bit(s).
[ 253.145224] mmc0: Reset 0x2 never completed.
[ 253.244543] mmc0: Reset 0x4 never completed.
[ 253.256647] mmc0: Controller never released inhibit bit(s).
[ 253.355983] mmc0: Reset 0x2 never completed.
[ 253.455296] mmc0: Reset 0x4 never completed.
[ 253.465259] mmc0: Controller never released inhibit bit(s).
[ 253.564583] mmc0: Reset 0x2 never completed.
[ 253.663895] mmc0: Reset 0x4 never completed.
[ 253.674059] mmc0: Controller never released inhibit bit(s).
[ 253.773394] mmc0: Reset 0x2 never completed.
[ 253.872707] mmc0: Reset 0x4 never completed.
[ 253.882684] mmc0: Controller never released inhibit bit(s).

This seems to be machine specific, not related to the OS. However I don't know what happens in a Windows OS.

Has anyone else encountered this bug? Will a BIOS upgrade fix it?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Will it work if it is resumed from sleep?

I don't recommend using suspend/hibernation because you may try to resume one of thee days and get blue screens and end up having to format and reinstall your systems.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Since it sounds like you need an embedded controller firmware update..........and it just so happens that the latest BIOS contains an EC (Embedded Controller) firmare update.....I would update the BIOS.  I don't have your computer model so I can't guarantee it will fix it.

I'm not sure if your computer originally came with Windows 8.1 or 10.  But I'm assuming it did.  And I'm also assuming  you put the computer in legacy mode to install your other OS's.  For me personally, I would never try to install Windows 8/10 in legacy mode or try to update the BIOS while windows 8/10 was in legacy mode.   I don't think your computer was designed to run Windows 8 or Windows 10 in legacy mode......so therefore I wouldn't attempt to update BIOS in legacy mode. 

The link below has step-by-step on how to ensure you get Windows 8.1 or 10 re-installed in default UEFI/EFI mode (assuming you are currently in legacy mode).  Unfortunately, you do need to completely wipe your hard drive.

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-V3-772-Windows-8-1-clean-install/td-p/449512

You can get Windows ISOs from here.

The link below talks about the EC and your power rails....and other things.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/controller-usage-low-power-designs-paper.pdf

Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • eightwt

Sorry philetus, suspend and sleep are pretty much the same thing in Linux and Android. Hibernate is disabled because I'm using an SSD. The SDcard slot is enabled after reboot but becomes disabled after coming out of sleep/suspend.

• eightwt

Yes, you are right, the laptop is in legacy mode. It came with Windows 8, but I wiped it because I want nothing to do with Windows. In fact the original HD has been replaced by an SSD. So the last thing I'd ever do is install a Windows OS. I will read over the docs and decide whether I can update the BIOS. I don't see why there is a problem with legacy vs UEFI unless the updated BIOS has no legacy mode setting. Can you speak to that?

BTW the full model # is V3-112P-P7LP.

• JordanB

I just personally wouldn't update the BIOS when it's legacy mode.  I didn't mean to imply that you can't.  

I don't have any facts that say you shouldn't or can't update the BIOS when it's in legacy mode.   Just superstition on my part.

• eightwt

AFAIK the machine is not in ANY mode when one updates a BIOS since no OS is running. Correct me if I'm wrong about that.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

BIOS generally is OS independent, so any update should not affect any OS, no matter if it's in UEFI or not. That's why you can update BIOS without any OS installed in some notebooks and most of the PC motherboards. I see the problem from another standpoint. Since you don't have any windows, how you will update the BIOS, since the executable works just from windows. While there is certainly a way to update BIOS from DOS, unfortunately Acer does not say how, nor it provides support for this procedure (even if, as I said, there is a way, since if you look in any SERVICE MANUAL which you find for some acer notebooks, there is written a BIOS recovery step, which is done without any OS). I know you can use an emulator, but this would worry me. What if the emulator does not emulate perfectly, and something goes wrong? it can brick the notebook.

• JordanB

I don't fully know how the Windows flash works to be honest.  For example, I don't know why people sometimes have Windows BIOS flash problems (and brick their computer).  I have no idea.  Could be user error.  Could be engineer error.  Could be something else.  No clue.

I assume your computer was designed, tested and sold to run Windows 8 in default UEFI/EFI mode.  I assume 99% of consumers will flash their BIOS in default UEFI/EFI mode.    I'm not saying that you'll have a problem flashing the BIOS in legacy mode.  I'm just saying what I would do out of fear, caution, and superstition. Smiley Wink

I'm not telling you what you should do.  I'm simply stating what I would do.  I have no facts.  Only fear.  Smiley Happy

Good luck.

• eightwt

You are correct. The BIOS updates that Acer provides are written as Windows executables (thankyouverymuch). Therfore I must run them from a Wiindows OS, UEFI or not. As a Linux user that pretty much cripples my attempts. There is no way I'd attempt to use Wine or another emulator for this. It's, as you say, too risky. I tried to extract the BIOS image from the .exe file, but that wouldn't work either.

So, unless I want to wipe my drive, I will need to install a Windows OS on a USB drive and boot from it just to upgrade my BIOS. Sheesh!

BUT, I still don't know if a BIOS upgrade will solve the original problem which is causing the SDcard reader to fail after resuming from sleep mode.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

One thing you can do is create a Windows to Go USB. I used this tutorial and easily created one. Then you boot your computer from the USB, download the bios file and upgrade the bios. I did just that and it worked great.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/196817/how-to-create-a-windows-to-go-usb-drive-without-the-enterprise-edition/

Download  Windows 8.1 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

• eightwt

It's a Catch-22. In order to create a Windows to Go USB I need a Windows machine. I'll try a Windows installer iso to a USB drive and upgrade the BIOS that way. 

• eightwt

Well that was a wasted effort. I was able to install Win 8 on an SDcard and boot from it but it borked my Grub bootloader because it took control of the MBR. I had a hell of a time getting back to normal and now the SDcard won't boot.

Next option is to remove the SSD and slap in a clean HDD and install Windows in that.