V15 Nitro TB3 eGPU possible?

nestroyer
nestroyer Member Posts: 1 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
So I have a Aspire VN7-592G and wondering if when Thunderbolt 3 GPU enclosures come to market, will I be able to use them with my laptop? I'd assume it would work fine but am not sure if there's some obstacle in the way with these laptops or if it'd need a BIOS update to work. Any input is appreciated!

Answers

• Acer-Blayn
    Acer-Blayn Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Black Edition Nitro systems will offer full thunderbolt 3 support, which should support this. Models that are not black edition will use either  USB 3.1 Type C Gen 2 (10 Gbps) while others only support Gen1 (5 Gbps) which would not provide this ability.

• Andromedus
    Andromedus Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter

If this is possible, can someone (preferably a technician) please explain why I'm getting the following from my Thunderbolt Software (last line):

Thunderbolt 3 3.png

• Acer-Blayn

I want to look into this. Can you confirm what Thunderbolt software you are using? Did it come with the system, or is it a separate download?

Also, what are the first 10 digits of your serial number?

Do you have a thunderbolt device connected to your system? If so, what device?

• Andromedus

I can confirm that the above image is taken from strictly stock software updated from the Acer support page for this laptop. I only received the laptop (new) yesterday from Costco.com

Before updating the software from the Acer page, the window was blank with almost no data.

I have since managed to get my software updated to a slightly more recent version than the Acer page by using a driver on the Dell site. This has resulted in the following window:

Thunderbolt 3 5.png

The PD Firmware number is now higher. The eGPU supported is still "no."

My serial number is (first 10 digits): NXG6UAA003

Model: Aspire VN7-792G-70KY

If it's of any interest, I posted more details of my attempts here: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10823-acer-nitro-v17-nitro-black-hq-akitio-node-tb3/

One of the key questions is: what exactly does "No" mean in reference to eGPU support? Does it mean not certified? Unkown? Not tested? Not possible?

• Andromedus

I should add that no Thunderbolt items have been plugged into the laptop (I don't own any).

I do plan on using the AKiTiO node assuming I can get some kind of indication that it would work.

It's my understanding that earlier versions of TB3 required a device to be plugged in for an update to occur. That has since been fixed. This might explain why I was initially unable to get the TB3 to update off of the Acer Driver page, while after updating it off another site and then trying again off the Acer page, it updated successfully (full explanation provided at the TechInferno thread linked above).

• Acer-Blayn
    Andromedus,

I can confirm that this product does support video via USB-C, but am unsure why the thunderbolt software loaded from Dell's website states No GPU support. When I try on our model here with factory software, I do not get this message. Actually, when I initially ran the Thunderbolt 3 software, I saw very little information, until I actually connected a device. At this point, I really can't comment as to why you are seeing this message, because it is not in our software. I can state that I am unaware of anything in this model that would block or prohibit eGPU support. I did read the threat you mention, and it is mentioned "People have been used The Akitio Thunder 3 as an eGPU enclosure over TB3 , even though the status says No."
  • Andromedus

Thank you for the reply, and for taking interest in this topic.

When I had only the original Acer drivers intalled, there was - as you say - very little information. I screenshotted it and showed that in the other thread. I should clarify that I have tried every combination of drivers that I've been able to install, including only Acer drivers, and have yet to get a reading of anything aside from either a blank readout, or a "no."

If it's true that the "no" readout is basically meaningless, then I wonder why it is shown. It will serve as a scarecrow to keep potential buyers away, which is a marketing disaster. This is likely to impact sales of any laptop that doesn't show a "yes," which will drive consumers to specific products (NUC, Razer, etc.).

I believe Acer should take an interest in correcting this readout - assuming it is essentially erroneous - for their own bottom line. At the enthusiast laptop level, the eGPU concept is already mainstream. It is already a consideration for many buyers. And because Acer is in the enthusiast laptop market, this is sure to impact sales, and potentially buyer remorse (deserved or not).

Just my two cents.

I will likely go ahead with the purchase of the AKiTiO and hope that it works, but many buyers would not be so inclined. Bad for Acer. Bad for AKiTiO. Bad for GPU vendors.

• Acer-Blayn

I can agree that this should get some attention, so I have escalated it to our engineering team. I can't promise a software update that will clarify, but can assure you that we will look into this. We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and your support of our products. I will update this thread with any new information I receive on this topic. Can you please update with your experience using AKiTiO, if you order them?

• Andromedus

Thank you for doing so.

I will certainly post my results with the AKiTiO node when able. The Node is rumored to release in the US in early December; assuming that's true, I may have results as early as late December or January.

• Kyledk05
    Kyledk05 Member Posts: 2 New User

Heyo. Just wanted to chime in and note that I'm also receiving a "No" regarding EGPU compatibility in Thunderbolt 3 Software. Unlike Andromedus, however, I obtained the latest TB3 firmware directly from the Acer website/the Acer Care program for my specific system (I have the 15-inch Aspire VN7-592G). I'm not actively pursuing a Razer Core or Akitio Node at the moment, but EGPU is something I'm very interested in for the future. I'd super appreciate it if you could help us obtain a definitive answer as to whether or not external GPUs via TB3 are compatible with our systems.

The first 10 digits of my serial number are: NXG6JAA001

And here's a screenshot of my results in Thunderbolt 3 software:

TB3.png

Thanks in advance for your effort, Acer-Blayn.

• Acer-Blayn
    I have logged a case with our engineering team. I hope to have an answer in a few days. I can't give an exact ETA because of the holidays, but should have an answer next week sometime.
  • Acer-Blayn
    We are still looking into this, but here are some of my preliminary findings. It seems the TB3 specification for eGPU support was modified by Intel in August, which was after these products shipped. We are currently working with Intel to determine what is needed to meet these new specifications, but I do not have an ETA at this time. I will update this thread as new information becomes available to me.
  • Kyledk05
    Kyledk05 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks again for checking on this. I'm happy to hear that you guys are trying to take action.

Though in the meantime, it appears that someone in the other forum thread Andromedus linked was able to get an EGPU (specifically a 980) working with their VN7-592G. So even if our systems don't "officially" support EGPU according to Thunderbolt Software, it looks like not all hope is lost:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10823-acer-nitro-v17-nitro-black-hq-akitio-node-tb3/#comment-153323

• Krain11
    Krain11 Member Posts: 9 New User

This is good news. I am also deeply interested with the node when it comes out. Please keep this thread updated.

• sync
    sync Member Posts: 2 New User

do we have any confirmation of the egpu support yet?

i'm planning to purchase a vn7-592G or 792G black edition if the egpu is supported but really want someone who can confirm the steps of upgrading the TB3 to make it supported

• Acer-Blayn

I am still waiting on further clarification before I can provide an updat on eGPU/eGPX support for these products. I hope to have an answer soon, but do not have an ETA at this time. We greatly appreciate your patience.

• sync
    sync Member Posts: 2 New User

any word or update?

its been almost 1 month since you went and ask for some feedback regarding this

• Redhong1998
    Redhong1998 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Any updates on this? I've been following this topic since it came up in the forum. Really interested in the results because I'm in a dilemma of buying v nitro or a Dell 7559. If they actually got egpu working on the v nitro, then I won't have to think again to go for it already.
  • DarkframeDOC
    DarkframeDOC Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello I also own a VN7-592G, and I also consider to purchase a Akitio Node. But I found I can only get

15.3.39.250 version through acer official suppport. And I also saw Akitio claim not all thunderbolt3 support egpu.

I really cosider whether to buy a egpu.

This is the official firmware update showed.

sdaf.png

this is what I mean offical site

Untitlsadfed.png

Untitled.png

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• Manu88
    Manu88 Member Posts: 3 New User

-

--

---

----

----- 

Anything new on that topic ??

Will any eGPU work with external graphic docks ?

------------------------------------------------------------------