V Nitro WIFI toggle greyed out

Options
Lopin
Lopin Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi, my V Nitro V7-591G wifi toggle is greyed out and I could not turn it on. I can only turn it on after I sleep and wake the PC. After restarting or shut down, it will be greyed out again until I sleep and wake it up.

I tried several methods but still no luck.

1. Uninstall and reinstall drivers

2. Factory reset windows

3. Go to Change PC setting>Network>Airplane Mode>Wifi Toggle (Still greyed out)

4. Go to Safe Mode to turn the wifi on (Wifi toggle still greyed out)

5. Reset BIOS by going to BIOS>F9>F10

6. Go to Network connection to diagnose (If it is greyed out, it will ask me to turn on Wifi, which I can't) (If after I wake the PC, it will say it could not identify any problem)

7. Go to Device Manager to diagnose (Device Manager shows it is working properly)

8. Go to Device Manager to disable and re-enable it

Last method which I did not try is to "Update BIOS". I did not do it because when I'm in BIOS, it shows my version appear to be V1.10, but on Acer website the BIOS is only V1.08.

Any idea on what's the problem?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Check this 2 things:

Method 1: Perform Network adapter troubleshooter.

a.       Press Windows + W key on the keyboard..

b.      Type troubleshooting in the search tab and press Enter.

c.       Click View all on left panel.

d.      Click Network Adapter, new window will popup.

e.       Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2: Enable Wireless service.

a.       Press Windows key + R and type services.msc in the search field and press ENTER.

b.      Scroll down to find “WLAN AutoConfig ".

c.       Right-click “WLAN AutoConfig “, and then click Start.

d.      Check if the issue persists.

Can you post your wireless adapter model?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Lopin
    Options

Method 1:

(If it is greyed out, it will ask me to turn on Wifi, which I can't)

(If after I wake the PC, it will say it could not identify any problem)

Method 2:

The "Start" is greyed out too.

The wifi card module is Atheros AR5BWB222.

I downloaded both the BIOS update on the Acer driver site but both could not install because it pop up and says that my BIOS verion is newer.

Any idea on this problem?

• IronFly
    Options

download this drivers(100% trustable website):

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/func-startdown/1168/

extract the files then

uninstall atheros drivers

on device manager if the wifi adapter is listed, right click it and choose uninstall

reboot your notebook

once rebooted install the downloaded drivers, reboot and check if the issue is still here.

• Lopin
    Options
    I tried to uninstall the driver from Device Manager and reinstall. Still not working.

I even tried to factory reset Windows then reinstall the driver. Still not working.
  • IronFly
    Options

ok, lets try a last thing.

disable the fast boot and check if WiFi is available, if not i'm suspecting some hardware issue on your WiFi adapter.

how to disable fast startup:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

• Lopin
    Options

Nope. It is still not working after I turn fast startup off. I really cant understand why by sleeping and waking the computer will make it work. Guess its not hardware because it can connect to the internet?

• IronFly
    Options

i'm guessing hardware because of only on wake state it works, so probably there's something about powering on the WiFi module that's not working.

you can do a test with an Ubuntu LiveCD and check if WiFi works from the start, you don't need to install Ubuntu, just do a test with the liveCD option.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

• Lopin
    Options

Hi, I havent used Ubuntu before. Can you guide me on how to use it to check for my Wifi module please?

• IronFly
    Options

not so hard, you need to "burn" the iso file to an USB flash drive using a software like Rufus:

http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

set it to GPT for EFI BIOS, USB formatted to FAT32 and give to Rufus the iso file path.

once done, reboot your notebook pressing F12 and choose the USB flash drive as bootable device.

it will load Ubuntu and it will ask if you want to install it or try the LiveCD, try the LiveCD and wait until it boot to desktop.

on the top right you will have the icon of the WiFi signal,click it and check if it works.