Updating BIOS Driver with Windows 10

dnmorgan
dnmorgan Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I'm trying to update my BIOS driver due to an error message saying "Thread stuck in device driver". I have windows 10. When I go to the acer site to download and update the driver, the only available drivers are for windows 8. Can I download this windows 8 driver without harming my computer? Should I revert back to windows 8? Any other solutions for the error message?

Update:

My computer: Acer Aspire V5-122P-0600  Manufacture year: 2013   Came installed with Windows 8

Thanks!

Answers

• BIOS update is different from normal Driver update, updating a wrong BIOS may brick your computer, could you please provide information about your system so that someone will be able to advice you, you need to tell us the model of your laptop.

• JulieM
    JulieM Member Posts: 6 New User

I also upgraded my Acer V5-122P to Windows 10 and also keep getting the blue screen of death with "thread stuck in device driver" error.  I ran a free "driver" review and it says I have 3 missing our outdated drivers.  Not sure if it's a BIOS driver issue or not.  How do I fix this for free?  thank you

• cricket816
    cricket816 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have same problem and reinstalled Windows 10 and error came back.  Could be related to Windows upgrade.

I see a lot of questions about this and no answers on this site.

I would not go back to Windows 8 not sure why!!!!

• Hyuk
    Hyuk Member Posts: 297 Practitioner WiFi Icon

From what I could find regarding this error it's related to the graphics driver, have you tried reinstalling the video driver?  You could also try rolling back to the previous driver.

• JulieM
    JulieM Member Posts: 6 New User

From my online research, I agree that it's likely a video driver.

Could you please provide step-by-step instructions for replacing/updating a video driver?

I am not a technical expert.

Thank you in advance for your help !!

• Hi,

Go to acer driver download site:http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

Download the VGA driver and save it in Desktop or any convenient place for you to access.

Go to Device Manager( right click windows logo at the bottom left of the screen) expand Display Adapters, highlight your graphics card, right click and select Update Driver, select manually install driver and browse to where you have saved the downloaded driver.

Capture.JPG

• dnmorgan
    dnmorgan Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello, thanks for the detailed response.  Acer does not have a windows 10 operating system opinion once I go to that link, only windows 8 for my computer. Asprire V5-122P. I'm sure I'm can't download a driver from windows 8 to use on my window's 10 computer.

• You could try "Acer Care centre Live updater" for the driver updates( from the top of the same page).

Capture.JPG