Turn off cores on VN7-791 with i7 4710

Options
APPOLON
APPOLON Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I couldn't find such an option. Is there a possibility to turn off cores on core i7 4710 deliberately? I am using my laptop predominantlyfor office work so I really don't need 8 threads.

Thanks in advance

Bobi

Best Answer

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

Your BIOS is locked so you don't have any option to limit or disable the physical cores on the notebook or to disable hyperthreading.

You can try to use intel XTU, and limit the maximum power of the CPU, this in turn will reduce power usage, and of course performance, but will not disable any of the cores. But is not very good especially if you use application which need high power on a single core.

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

Your BIOS is locked so you don't have any option to limit or disable the physical cores on the notebook or to disable hyperthreading.

You can try to use intel XTU, and limit the maximum power of the CPU, this in turn will reduce power usage, and of course performance, but will not disable any of the cores. But is not very good especially if you use application which need high power on a single core.