Trackpad issues (Acer Aspire V3-572PG)

laurah
laurah Member Posts: 6 New User

Hello everyone!

I have an Acer Aspire V3-572PG that is less than a year old. I have an occasional issue with the trackpad that I’m wondering about. I’ve tried to read a bit about issues people have had with the trackpad on this laptop, but I’m unclear on what exactly the problem (and solution) is, if anything.  

Every so often in the middle of use – randomly and not very frequently – the trackpad will change the way it responds. Sometimes these issues begin individually, sometimes all at once:

- tap-to-click behaves as if I’m holding down the mouse button (e.g, if I tap and then move the cursor, it will highlight text, instead of just clicking) or stops working altogether

- to move the cursor I must use two fingers instead of one

- scrolling seems to stop working

- right-click is malfunctioning also

When this happens, I have to restart my machine and then the trackpad works as usual.

The driver says it’s up to date, and nothing in particular seems to trigger this issue when it occurs – the computer sometimes seems to slow briefly and then goes back to normal, but sometimes it's completely normal and it just happens. Either way the trackpad is messed up until I restart. Is this what anyone else experiences? Is there a fix? Software or hardware? Any advice would be appreciated.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

It sounds like the left and/or right button is sticking. Turn it over, shake it,wrap a towel around your hand and lightly bump it at the trackpat, blow it out with a can of air.

• laurah

Thanks for the response! This trackpad doesn’t have individual buttons though, and when this issue occurs I can still do the physical click, which suggests nothing is stuck. Plus, that wouldn’t suddenly make moving the cursor require two fingers, and like I said, restarting makes it behave as normal.

• Moresby
    Moresby Member Posts: 29 New User

I sounds like it might be dirty.  This happens to me sometimes when my GF's kid gets his dirty hands all over the touchpad. 

So just give it a nice little clean.  A microfiber cloth should do the trick.

Also rather than rebooting every time this happens just turn the touchpad on and off from the touchpad key.  That usually gets it back working just as well as a reboot.  You may have to turn it on and off a couple of times.  But that's much faster than a reboot.

• laurah

Interesting, okay - I'll try cleaning and see if that makes a difference. I don’t quite understand how that could be the cause though, if restarting fixes it at the time without cleaning or other physical changes? But I’ll see what happens next time.

And yeah, I’ve tried turning the trackpad on and off multiple times and waiting it out, and restarting is honestly the only thing that seems to work when this happens. Frustrating!

• Moresby

A reboot basically nulls the system.  So even a slightly schumtzy touchpad can become more responsive. 

Intermittent problems are always the toughest to troubleshoot. But one thing to look for is an intermittent cause. With something as sensitive as a touchpad, dirt is a classic intermittent cause.

Of course, it might not be the cause in your case.  But we always hope for simple solutions that are in our control.

• laurah

Okay, hopefully it is just something like that then! Thank you.

• laurah
    Unfortunately, today the issue happened again, even with cleaning. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
  • Moresby

It's starting to sound like hardware. 

But you should do the basics to make a last attempt at a software fix. Check all the touchpad settings.  Uninstall and reinstall the touchpad from device manager.  Uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

And if that doesn't work, and you're still under warranty, it's off to Acer for a repair.  Cross your fingers you don't get into a repair loop because it's an intermittent problem.  Make the problem as clear to them as possible.

• laurah

Thanks, I’ll give that stuff a try. It’s still in warranty, but unfortunately I’m abroad right now for the next few months and require my laptop for work, so I don’t think I will be able to send it in for repairs before the warranty expires this summer…so fingers crossed a software fix works.