Touchpad locking drag sticks

PaulH_UK
PaulH_UK Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Model: Aspire V5-573

I like using the 'Locking Drag' feature on the Synaptics touchpad on the Aspire and have used this on a Dell laptop previously. I can't get it t behave on the Aspire however.

A double tap and drag activates the window drag lock (or slider lock or text selection) but releasing the lock will require a single or double tap depending on timing which is infuriating. I think that a single tap should release the lock regardless (which is the behaviour on the Dell). If I stop dragging and then instantly single tap I can get it to release but more often than not it requires a second tap. The usual result is that I accidentally drag the slider further or fail to terminate the text selection block so that moving the cursor highlights a different area again.

I've been really happy with the V5-573 (especially after moving Windows onto an mSata card in the 'secret' free slot Smiley Tongue ) but this makes me want to throw it at the wall at times.

Does anyone have any ideas on whether this can be tweaked? I've had a good look on the forums but can't find anything.

I do understand that many find the locking drag feature infuriating full-stop but I want to keep it as I've got so used to using it.

Touchpad: Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad

Driver version : 17.0.6.17

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

PaulH_UK,

I found the ClickLock option and settings in the Mouse Properties under the Buttons tab. Once you have this enabled the only setting I am seeing is to adjust how long you need to hold down a mouse button before your click is "locked". I hope this helps or is what you are looking for.

Also I noticed the V5 series comes with the single touchpad where the clicks/buttons are on a rocker so make sure you are pressing down on the left side to simulate the left click you need to release the locked state.

• PaulH_UK

Tinkerer

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed! Smiley Happy

I had been going straight into the Synaptics driver settings and missed that. Setting the click lock delay to 'long' now means that when I click to release the drag or selection it now always releases.

I think that what was happening before was that I was re-locking by not clicking in time (most of the time). A double click would re-lock/unlock.

That's going to save me a lot of frustration - I knew it was worth coming on here.

• PaulH_UK

Tinkerer

I don't use the left/right buttons on the rocker at the bottom of the touchpad btw as I find those a bit awkward (I usually move the mouse pointer in the process of cicking). I just tap to click and use the two finger tap for right click. That's one feature of the V5 that I don't like; that rocker takes some pressing and is imprecise.