Slow transfer speed (SSD --> HD) VN7-591G

Options
tytlyf
tytlyf Member Posts: 43 New User

Model:  Acer Aspire VN7-591G-73Y5

I've added a SSD drive in addition to the 1TB HD that comes with the computer.  When transfering images to my storage drive (1TB HD), the speed starts off around 400MB/s then slows to around 40MB/s.  

Is there a reason why moving files from my system drive (128GB SSD) to my storage drive (1TB HD) would slow down?

I've attached an image of the transfer window when moving files.transfer problem.jpg

Answers

• cruisinforgold
    cruisinforgold Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Stock WD Blue Drive - VN7-792G.jpg

This is the Synthetic Crystal Diskmark for the WD Blue 1TB drive in my VN7-792G (used to be in my laptop) which is probably pretty close to yours. The Seq speeds top out at 69 MB/s which is ideal rates and I'd expect somewhat slower when all the overhead of transfers are factored in. Your probably getting boxed in by this drives write speed at 40 MB/s

• tytlyf
    Options

Thanks for the reply.  So you're saying 40mb/s is typical for the HD that comes with the laptop?  I was thinking it should be much faster, especially since the transfer speed is 10x faster in the first part of the transfer and then everything instantly slows down.  

HD

Untitled.jpg

SSDUntitle2d.jpg

• cruisinforgold
    Options

I know in researching the Acer VN7 line for 15in and 17in units 592G and 792G that for the price I wanted to pay I would be getting the doggy WD Blue drive. There are benchmarks out there for these drives like what I posted that represent how bad the perform.

I then planned to upgrade mine with an M.2 SSD and remove the HDD to replace with a 2.5" SATA SSD. I made the M.2 SSD my boot drive and the 2.5" SSD is my overflow data drive. My performance is night and day - my unit is now performing as well or better than any of the "pricier" gaming laptops out there.

The cost differential vs risk of upgrading on your own - that was the decision - but I'm a tinkerer anyway. I mentioned in another post that I accidentally pulled off the WIFI + Bluetooth card's connector. So I had to pull the card and replace for $25 (and I actually upgraded it to and Intel 7265AC card) that now screams.

• tytlyf
    Options

I downloaded and posted the results too.  The SSD I added was the same, a 128GB m.2 ssd (crucial I think).  

I guess my main point was noticing how it started off quick then slowed down.  I assumed something was wrong.

• cruisinforgold
    Options

01-06-16 SSD TO SSD TEST.pdfJust did an experiment on my system. M.2 SSD 512GB to 2.5" SSD 128GB.

1ST graph is a zip file of my data 12 GB being transferred. 2nd Graph is the same files extracted then transferred.

Big difference in starting rates and finishing rates for 2nd Graph when a lot of file handles are being moved. Bigger move in the beginning and gradual slowdowns. More pronounced in the second instance.

• Captain_WD
    Captain_WD Member Posts: 39 New User
    Options

Hey there tytlyf,

Here are my two cents on this. Your transfer speed would be bottlenecked by the slowest part of the connection. In your case that would be the HDD's speeds. Even though the SSD is capable of higher transfer speeds, the HDD simply cannot keep up reading or writing with the same speeds. The initial burst is normal as the data is read from the SSD and flushed to the HDD's cache. From there the HDD starts writing. The benchmark's high speeds are the sequential ones while the regular usage depends more on the random read/write speeds which are significantly lower. I'd say it is normal for the transfer speed to decline after the initial burst of speed. Smiley Happy

If you doubt your drive I would recommend checking its S.M.A.R.T. status and see if it's functioning properly.

Post back if you have additional questions!

Captain_WD.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i agree about your HDD speed rate, it's normal; add also that probably is a 5400rpm instead of 7200rpm HDD.

I'm not an Acer employee.