Slim travel power adapter for VN7-792G-75RU

CarnegieJ
CarnegieJ Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Any suggestions from the Acer Community for a lightweight/slim AC adapter power supply to use with a Aspire V Nitro VN7-792G-75RU notebook? The VN7-792G-75RU comes with a 135W Adapter kit with Power Cord (Purple Connector) (https://store.acer.com/en-us/135w-adapter-kit-with-power-cord-purple-connector?___store=usa_en) Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

CJ

Answers

• Sumdud
    Sumdud Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I have used 120w form v3-771g and 65w from emachines E732ZG adapters on my VN7-792g(purple connector) and both of them worked propperly. I would like to hear from acer crew If it's OK to use them.

Also I would like to hear, if I could buy more powerful adapter so my battery wouldn't discharge during gaming. It's OK now, but it messes up battery calibration and my laptop will become next to useless when battery starts wearing out :C

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

You can use a 65W power adapter with your notebook, when you do really light tasks.

With the 135W power adapter, you should not have in any way the issue of battery discharging even when the notebook is running at full power, and your battery still needs to be charged.

With the 65W for example, the adapter cannot provide the required power if you do intensive tasks (if you have an i7, probably the cpu has 45W TDP and take into account the dedicated graphics card which is usually more than 45W + the other stuff inside the notebook) so it draws the remaining power from the battery, this is why it's discharging.

When they provided you with a 135W adapter, they had a good reason why they put this amount of power.

If you have discharging problems with the original adapter (the 135W one) I think you should check a service, it can be that the adapter is not providing all the power.

• CarnegieJ

@Sumdud, for my 792G I am also skeptical to run a power adapter that has a lower rated output (135W vs. 120W or 90W or 65W). Basically, I am okay with the Acer power adapter that came with my 792G. A slimmer and lightweight power adapter version would be cool for my travel but not essential.

Cheers,

CJ

• Sumdud

Tinkerer

135W power adapter was enough when my laptop was stock, but after I repasted with liquid metal. It needs more power now, because it doesn't thermal throttle anymore and runs CPU at ~3.1Ghz, if I limit it at 2.6ghz as it ran before, it won't drain the battery.

• CarnegieJ

@Sumdud, This is a bit off topic but... my 792G has an Intel i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (http://ark.intel.com/products/88967/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz) in a Socket 1440 FCBGA (0x5). My max TDP is 45.0 W and max Junction Temperature is 100°C. Have you posted to the webs additional notes or vids regarding your liquid metal performance boost mods? I am interested to see it. Is the mod cost ROI okay? Did you notice a significant performance boost?

My current battery hardware monitor specs:

Voltage 0  12.73 Volts [0x31BC] (Current Voltage)
     Capacity 0  52497 mWh [0xCD11] (Designed Capacity)
     Capacity 1  48165 mWh [0xBC25] (Full Charge Capacity)
     Capacity 2  48245 mWh [0xBC75] (Current Capacity)
     Level 0   9 pc [0x5B] (Wear Level)
     Level 1   100 pc [0x64] (Charge Level)

I've only used the Acer AC Adapter PA-1131-16 that came with the notebook. I desire a slim travel adapter like the LVSUN LS-PAB90AS Ultra Slim Universal Laptop AC Adaptor http://www.enlvsun.com/Products/LaptopACAdaptorLS-PAB90AS.html

Cheers,

CJ

• sharky25k

Hi,

Don't missunderstand me, but I am still unsure if the adapter doesn't have any issue.

I have the older notebook 591G with the 47W CPU and the 75W GPU (960m) and I also have the thermal paste changed. The notebook runs at around 2.9 Ghz when when I do the stress test of the notebook on both cpu and gpu.  Using a smart plug in which I had the adapter plugged I saw that the power draw was at around 132W. Taking into account that the adapter is not 100% efficient, I assue that I was well below the maximum power output of the adapter.

My suggestion is to check the adapter with a plug which can measure the power draw, and if you are below the 135W draw, it can mean that the adapter has some issue.

You can also use HWmonitor to see how much power the CPU uses. I think it does not go above 45W, when stressed.

• Sumdud

Tinkerer

sharky25k

I'm sorry, but you jumped to a conclusion way too soon. You are comparing apples to oranges, sure, your CPU TDP is 2W more, but how much power it actually consumed? Your screen is smaller and what are your other components? What is your ram and digital storrage layout? Do you use mouse or headphones? You don't have optical bay, I use HDD caddy. How well is your smart plug calibrated? Those little things add up and your measurments already indicated that you are approaching the power limit.

I can't call warranty on power brick, it works just fine and it keeps up when I limit turboboost to emulate "stock" performance. I would rather buy at least 150W brick to replace it instead of getting it fixed, I need my laptop all the time. 

So what do you think about getting more powerful brick? Maybe I could buy Predator brick and use adapter on it.

CarnegieJ 

I haven't posted any videos or photos on the procedure, but there are plenty of video materials on this topic. However I have posted thermals.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/liquid-metal-showdown-thermal-grizzly-conductonaut-vs-cool-laboratory-liquid-ultra-pro.791489/page-20#post-10386853

Note that this is comparison with MX4, stock paste is worse. Overall, I think it was worth it, FPS is more stable and now I can even overclock GPU.

• sharky25k

Well, buying a more powerful one will not affect in any way. The adapter does not provide the maximum power all the time, it provides how much it's requested. If the voltage and the connector matches then I think it should be fine. But I am not sure if the motherboard was designed to carry this amount of current. So this is something to think about.

Regarding my configuration:

RAM 16 GB DDR3L (2X8GB)

SSD: M.2 SATA 256GB

HDD 1TB 2.5" WD

Screen 4k UHD (at the moment when I was doing this test, last year around march/april) at 100% brightness, Then I changed the 4k one to a 1080p since, windows scalling is a mess, and also with the 1080p I have slightly longer battery life.

Headphones were not connected.

A USB mouse was connected (note, it was a wireless one).

Fans were at 100% (using notebook fan control, with configuration for the 591G, not the "max speed" given by acer, which I think is around 70%.

The 15 inch ones don't come with optical drive, so I don't have the optical drive, or a third storage.

Regarding the CPU usage, I am sorry but I don't remember exactly, but I know for sure that I was using HWmonitor to see the current CPU power usage. I can do a stress test later like the previous one, and tell you the value. I also used XTU to max out the multipliers for the CPU. I remember that it always started above 47W (short time power burst is 58W in XTU), but it dropped down quickly.

Actually during these tests I was not testing the power draw (that was something like a side thing) but the throttling, with the new thermal paste.

Regarding the calibration of the smart plug, I don't know, but I measured things which I know how much power they should draw, and the plug was quite close to the rated values all the time. I remember testing LED lightbulbs rated at 5W and I was measuring around 4.8W draw from the wall. And here you can have error in the plug itself, or even the bulb does not draw exactly 5W.

• CarnegieJ

@Sumdud, Excellent! Thank you for the link and sharing your hardware info comparison screen caputures. It is easy to visualize what you are saying about the CPU Package Power and IA Cores Power usages when the i7-6700HQ enters into Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and utilizes all four cores.

What is the current battery hardware monitor specs (HWInfo) on your battery that experiences the plugged-in discharge at full throttle?

Cheers,

CJ

• Sumdud

Tinkerer

@Carnegiel My battery is calibrated now at a bit more than 52Wh, wear level is 3%.

In battlefield 1, it discharges at 1-2W 1 hour average now(after I removed unused pheripherals), it used to be up to 5W on average and if I use external display and turn build-in diplay off, it stops discharging.