Should I update my BIOS? Aspire V5-571

Options
alex_ncfc
alex_ncfc Member Posts: 35 Devotee WiFi Icon

Hi all,

I've looked at the BIOS page on the Acer Drivers and downloads section for my laptop (V5-571 Aspire, Ultrathin) and there are some more recent revisions. I usually wouldn't update my BIOS if things are going well but is it worth it to see if I get any sort of performance increase?

One thing that's confused me - my laptop is running BIOS version 2.11, dated 05/11/2012. But when I look at the BIOS downloads on the Acer website for this laptop (I used my laptop's serial number to search for drivers) there is no 2.11 version!

There's 2.09, 2.15, 2.17 and 2.18.

Is there a chance my laptop could be running a BIOS not designed for it? Far fetched I know but I can't see why there wouldn't be a 2.11 on the download page. Also what does "Not for upgrades" mean next to some of the BIOSs listed?

Thanks for any information.

Alex

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

a BIOS version missing from support website, means nothing. Smiley Happy

they probably did a quick update to V2.15 and it was not worth to publish V2.11

(not for upgrades) means that only laptops with windows 8.x OS from factory can upgrade to this version; the others that had windows 7 can't do it.

if you need it, you can update straight to V2.18

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

a BIOS version missing from support website, means nothing. Smiley Happy

they probably did a quick update to V2.15 and it was not worth to publish V2.11

(not for upgrades) means that only laptops with windows 8.x OS from factory can upgrade to this version; the others that had windows 7 can't do it.

if you need it, you can update straight to V2.18

• alex_ncfc
    alex_ncfc Member Posts: 35 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

Thanks for the extremely quick reply.

I may well update to 2.18 seeing as there's been a few versions since the 2.11 update.

I'll see how it goes!

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy