Should I try Intel RST AHCI drivers on VN7-591G?

Options
sarazboulba
sarazboulba Member Posts: 2 New User

I recently got a VN7-591G (i7 4720HQ, 8GB, GTX 960M, 1TB HDD)

The fact that it didn't come with intel RST AHCI drivers installed but rather the Standard AHCI SATA drivers surprised me. It actually came with it on previous Acer laptop I owned.
That's why I thought Acer didn't judge useful to install it. Moreover, there is a power management patch which seems to tweak the AHCI drivers, that has been released. So it seems that all this has been done on purpose.

But did someone actually try to install the intel RST drivers? In that case what were the results?

I also added an M.2 SSD on which I put windows 10, that's why I thought intel RST might be relevant, but now I doubt it a little since benchmark results are as expected in sequential read/write, but I admit I don't quite feel it in "real world" usage.

Thank you!

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

According to Joe_Intel, Intel employee, "there is no advantage.............."

https://communities.intel.com/thread/44074?start=0&tstart=0&forceNoRedirect=true

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    Options

Did you try it?  please post results if you did. 

One time i uninstalled intel rst to test stock driver thinking that it would automatically install the stock driver.  But that didnt happen. oops. fortunately i had a windows 10 installtion media and was able to boot in to safe mode to get the stock microsoft driver to load.

• JordanB
    Options

The tests below are for an Acer TC-605 desktop w/ Intel H81 chipset series 8 in non-RAID.  The Intel RST is the correct version for this board to the best of my knowledge.  The TC-605 uses the standard Microsoft storahci by default from factory.  You must have the correct IRST version for your motherboard, otherwise you could have bigger problems if you try to test.  In your case, since Acer has tweaked the power management settings, I wouldn't recommend that you try to install intel rst....since there might be a conflict.....and cause more trouble than it's worth. (Unless someone from Acer tells you it's OK)

The intel driver iaStorA very slightly beats stock Microsoft's storahci.....in my unscientific tests.....by a score of 913 to 907  Not enough gain to potentially reset Windows using recovery...... and completely start over if something goes haywire.

Acer has probably tweaked the power settings to be as good as IRST on your system.  Maybe even better....who knows.

withrstnodefmaxpwr.PNG

storahcinodefmaxpwr.PNG