Screen freezes intermittently!

Options
Gordon2
Gordon2 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

On my Acer V13 laptop which is nearly new most things are great but........................................

Occasionally and more often when I first use it and I am looking at a site the screen freezes and the only way i can recover it is by right clicking in the task bar - selecting task manaager - left click and close task. The screen then either returns to what I was looking at or goes back to desktop!

Everything else about the laptop is perfect. I have checked to see whether anything is running upodates at time like my Avast but nothing is! I have fast broadband and the V13 is very fast indeed.

Any ideas please as this is getting annoying happening 5 or 6 times in say 2 hours of use.

Thanks everyone

Gordon2

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Gordon2,

Could you please try the methods 3,4 and 5 from the link below one at a time, ignore 1&2.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-freeze-computer-try/

• Gordon2
    Gordon2 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options

Hello Brummy2

Well I have spent some time going thru all your suggestions -I am elderly and consider myself fairly computer savvy but this had beaten me!

I bought the Acer Aspire cheap but new a couple of months ago and although it was new it had been in the box on the shelf for some time!

No probs at all with it except for what I mentioned here. I had looked for MS updates which could be downloaded as these showed on my last laptop and I was able to schedule the important ones to install automatically. When I looked on this laptop all I could see where already installed updates and somewhere it said that MS updates were now installed without asking?!

The last important sec. updates according to the dates were done before I bought the laaptop (how was that?) and I was sent to MS Update Catalogue (getting complicated now) to download and install KB3205386 which was the up to date one. I hope I did right! There does not seem to be any damage done and the laptop has stopped 'freezing' It said it was a Cumulative Update for Win 10 Version 1511.  Have I done anything wrong?!!

Regards

Gordon2

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi Gordon2,

I am glad to hear that you have resolved the problem, yes, this Win10 is a bit difficult one but once you get used to it, it will be a nice OS, no you haven't done anything wrong, that update was released 2/3 days ago. BTW, Thanks for the kudos.