Samsung SSD 960 evo Pro on VN-792G cannot boot win10pro

demon_true
demon_true Member Posts: 15 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Samsung SSD 960 Evo Pro on VN-792G cannot boot win10pro. SSDisk is visible, has excellent performance into notebook, 3220/2100 r/w, but cannot boot Win10.

Bios is 1.9, in legacy mode ONLY are visible DVD/USB instalation disks.

The win10 instalation process end on a half way and cannot boot ssd drive to finalize.

In UEFI mode are not visible any DVD/USB instalation disks.

Should we wait a new BIOS update for Aspire VN7-792G to deal properly with newest ssd's?

Do anyone have a clue how to solve this?  benchmark 512 test2.png

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

Hi,

How are you running Samsung Magician program? Are you running in another HDD? Are you trying to install Windows 10 while you have a HDD with Windows 10 connected?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,444 Trailblazer

>>> SSDisk is visible, has excellent performance into notebook, 3220/2100 r/w, but cannot boot Win10.>>>

Are you trying to make a dual boot machine? One from the HDD and one from the SSD? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• demon_true

Samsung Magition and Smsung Migration are installed on the old Toshiba 1T disk.

I tried to istall W10 in UEFI mode (with disconnected old drive) - result - no DVD/USB disks visible.

In legasy mode - result - SSD is "half" visible; in BIOS you can see only HDD0: whithout ssd name after...and W10 announce that cannot install on non-bootable disk.

When both disks are connected I install W10 from USB that was pointed as a first boot dvive. In this situations both disk and partitions are visible.

• demon_true

Yes, I would like to have a dual boot machine.

At present moment there is bootable menu of two W10 OS - on volume 2 (old disk) and on volume 4 (ssd disk)

Option old disk (vol.2 OS) is normal boot.

Option OS on ssd disk (vol.4) leads to a blue screen, info: Cannot find ...bla bla.winload.exe. Option F8 Repare boot reports fail and F9 alloys to chose the other boot volume.

Actually I intend to remove old 1T 5400tpm disk and use it as a external for data storring.

• JackE

>>>I tried to istall W10 in UEFI mode (with disconnected old drive) - result - no DVD/USB disks visible.>>>

Is the Win10 installation media from ACER? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• brummyfan2

demon_true wrote:

Yes, I would like to have a dual boot machine.

At present moment there is bootable menu of two W10 OS - on volume 2 (old disk) and on volume 4 (ssd disk)

Option old disk (vol.2 OS) is normal boot.

Option OS on ssd disk (vol.4) leads to a blue screen, info: Cannot find ...bla bla.winload.exe. Option F8 Repare boot reports fail and F9 alloys to chose the other boot volume.

Actually I intend to remove old 1T 5400tpm disk and use it as a external for data storring.

Hi,

Your laptop model may not have the capability for a NVMe SSD, could you please install HWiNFO64, expand Bus, expand PCI Bus, highlight empty PCI Express Root Port and check the Maximum Link Width on the right pane. 

Capture.JPG

• demon_true

These are snapshots, same for #3, #4 and #9. For #5 are smre green marks.h64 s1.png

h64 s2.png

• demon_true

No, an MS USB disk, loaded on USB SanDisk ultra fit 32G.  An original MS W10 DVD disk is not visible as a bootable device in UEFI mode...why - I don't know, but is a fact.

• brummyfan2

Hi,

Have you tried different USB stick and different USB ports?

For DVD to boot in UEFI BIOS, you may have to disable secure boot, it has been discussed in this thread:https://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/60212-uefi-does-not-recognize-dvd-drive-but-works-windows-4.html

You will have to create a supervisor password in BIOS, once you installed the OS, you need to clear the password and don't forget to create an easy password. Take more care when you change settings in BIOS, please read about disabling Secure boot.

• demon_true

Hi, thank you for the hint how to disable security boot in UEFI mode. Unfortunately, everything is almost the same - a dark screen for some time and then permanent ACER logo appears, usualy for a long period, but if you make a mouse movement, logo is restarting. There are no boot from original MS-DVD-W10, with ot without enable security uefi boot. Same is behavior for usb boot devices (on different medias); nevertheless are they made by win media creator, or by rufus2.14, with all options: basic, MBR on UEFI or GDP on UEFI, formatted as FAT32 or NTFS. The BIOS behavior is very whiered. Lack of success is also removing a bootmgr in usb-s to be seen only efiboot. If there is any combination on available acer 1.09 bios settings, please let me know...

Up to now, to gain some speed, I replace the SATA disk with a Samsung SSD EVO 850; W10 is installed in legacy mode (well traced way) and the 4-5 benchmark 512 and 500 11-0502017.png

benchmark 512 and 500 11-0502017.png

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

So, if you set Rufus like on its website mainpage:

GPT for UEFI

FAT32

and load a windows 10 x64 ISO image 

set your laptop BIOS to default (press F9) and set F12 key to enable boot list under BOOT page, press F10 to save and exit.

then with your USB flash drive plugged, press F12 at boot and choose the USB flash drive name/model/brand from list, is not booting to windows 10 installation?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • demon_true

Hi!

The bios behavior is ridiculous! Somehow, after many many tries I achieved to boot from one of the usb drives, also a w10 was installed almost successfully, once restarted (with unplugged usb) to finalize; then even updates to 1073 were downloaded, and applied to 30%, BUT the reboot was absolutely impossible, whatever combination (sec en/dis) and so on…. Do I have to clear hierarchy order in bios, enable or disable? Any ideas? The windows boot manager that appeared in bios boot devices, can do nothing but permanent ACER logos sequence; just hangs and after a mouse movement, the ACER logo restarts on and on…

The behavior of boot procedure in uefi is just like a russian roulette.

Maybe chef bios programmer should work at last on his 1.09 creation!

Thank you very much for your trying to help me. Have a nice day!

• demon_true
  • JackE

>>> w10 was installed almost successfully, once restarted (with unplugged usb) to finalize; then even updates to 1073 were downloaded, >>>

Did it boot OK ***before*** the Winupdates were applied? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• demon_true

No...boot was absolute unpredictable; maybe F8 unleash the win to finalize updates to 100% and give me an access to system.. The last one I have done was to prepare all the stuff installed, Office, browsers, languages, the samsung 960 pro drivers ver.2.2 etc.  Windows worked perfect with an amazing speed; word and excel just started in a flash; some updates for defender... BUT!!! After restart the system hangs, turning on and on Acer logo. Attempt to point trustable uefi bootmgr.efi or bootmgrfw.efi (default status for windows boot) lead to nowhere. I have got a working system on fastest drive, but still cannot boot from there. A big Nonsense! The factory defaults for a security uefi boot also lead nowhere and also uefi security boot enable/disable.

• JackE

Has the SSD960 ever been properly recognized/identified in the BIOS in any configuration either with or without the original HDD? If it was mine, I'd probably spend a few bucks on trying a smaller garden-variety SSD just to see if it'd work the way I want. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ManyaKz
    ManyaKz Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello did you manage to solve this issue? im planning on getting the 960 m.2 evo very soon and using it to boot my win 10 from it. Anybody reading this managed to successfully boot win 10 from this nvme drive yet?

• demon_true

NO

• demon_true

Should I buy all variety of SSD drive to discover wich one is compatible with this "upgraded bios 1.09" ?!

• demon_true

Maybe you should buy a better hardware platform and then spend money for a newest ssd technology.