Replacing conventional 1TB HDD on the V17 Nitro BE (VN7-791G-76MH) with a 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro

sherwinV17NITRO
sherwinV17NITRO Member Posts: 2 New User

Greeting Everyone,

I have recently purchased an Acer V17 Nitro Black Edition (specifically the VN7-791G-76MH). Unfortunately my version does not have the 256GB SSD m.2 onboard and only has a 1TB conventional HDD for storage. I believe this is the second tier just below Acer's top of the line model for it's VN7-791G series which is the (VN7-791G-75YT).

My question is: if I were to remove the conventional 1TB HDD installed in my laptop and replace it with a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, would cloning be the only way for me to conveniently transfer my exisiting OS (Microsoft 8.1) to the new SSD that I intend to acquire?

on the top tier V17 Nitro (VN7-791G-75YT), what is the m.2 256GB SSD for? is it being used as a cache? or is it where the OS is preloaded?

I haven't disassembled or opened my V17 yet, but very am curious what the real use of the m.2 256GB SSD is for on the top line V17 Nitro BEs (VN7-791G-75YTs).

I was thinking; if it was where the OS was preloaded and, that if I do find a vacant m.2 slot in my unit, I would put in a 512GB SSD in there in the hopes of maximizing its potential.

but then, if that were the case, how would i reload the OS altogether?

I apologize for the questions that seem to have spawned from one question to the other folks, just a bit excited in upgrading my unit LoL. would really appreciate your help/thoughts/opinions on the matter.

Thank you everyone in advance.