Recovery Partition redundant in Windows 10?

Options
DavidPriest
DavidPriest Member Posts: 12 New User

Hi, I have an Acer V3-371 and I have just upgraded it to Windows 10 and it all works fine. I have created a Recovery Drive on a 32Gb USB pen drive and I also regularly copy the full c:\drive onto a USB WD Elements Backup HDD.
I would now like to delete the 15.25 Healthy (Recovery Partition) on Disk 0 because I believe it to now be redundant, and to use the newly available space to expand the space on the c:\drive by a further 15.25Gb.
I am not experienced at working with drive partitions, please can anyone tell me if the MiniTool Partition Free Tool is suitable for this purpose? Also, does anyone see any flaws in what I am trying to do, or if there are any extra steps that I have overlooked?
All advice will be greatly appreciated.

David Priest

Best Answer

• DavidPriest
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi again everyone, so after contacting Paragon I have discovered that when using Windows 10 to create a recovery drive, it doesn't always work. There are many Google references to "Recovery Media Builder" and my new software has a button to resolve the issue.
    It works fine and my issue is now solved, hope that this helps others who get the same error message
    David

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

You can do it if you are 100% sure about your USB media recovery and HDD image.

you can try to expand with windows disk management too but mini tool partition (download the latest available) probably will do a better job.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • DavidPriest
    Options

Thanks IronFly, things have now moved on and I done it slightly different, I purchased a copy of Paragon Partition Manager 15 Home and deleted the Recovery Partition and added the space to my c:\ drive. At first sight everything appears perfect, I do have a larger c:\ drive, however I now have a different problem, when I attempt to make a fresh recovery drive on my USB pen drive, I get the following error message "We can't create a recovery drive on this PC. Some required files are missing. To troubleshoot problems when your PC can't start. use your Windows installation disc or media"
    Because I done a Windows 10 upgrade, I do not have an installation disc and think that I may now have to download an ISO download and do a full re-install?
    Unless anyone else has any better ideas?

Thanks again
    David

• DavidPriest
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi again everyone, so after contacting Paragon I have discovered that when using Windows 10 to create a recovery drive, it doesn't always work. There are many Google references to "Recovery Media Builder" and my new software has a button to resolve the issue.
    It works fine and my issue is now solved, hope that this helps others who get the same error message
    David

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

DavidPriest,

Thanks for sharing, but I'm confused.  Are you saying that while in Windows 10, you were able to create a recovery drive or are you saying that you were able to make a factory default recovery drive that included your original approx. 16 GB Acer OEM installation.....after you deleted that recovery partition?  That seems impossible to me.  If you invoke your recovery drive and select reset your PC, what will happen?

When you say "it work fine now".....what works fine?

Thanks.

• DavidPriest
    Options

Hi JordanB, I am also confused but what I am saying is that before I made the partition changes I was able to click on Start, Control Panel, Recovery and then use the advanced recovery tools to create a recovery drive of about 16Gb onto a USB drive. After making the partition changes I re-introduced my USB drive and attempted to refresh the drive with new recovery files. It is that process that Windows 10 fails to complete and produces the said error message.
    By using the "Recovery Media Builder" button on the Paragon software I am able to carry on using my USB drive for it's intended purpose as a recovery drive. Hope that all makes sense.
    David

• JordanB
    Options

Thanks. That clears up part of my confusion.  I think I'm just going to have to test my USB recovery drive that I made in Windows 10 and attempt to reset one of my Acer desktops to factory condition.......and see if it loads the Acer OEM windows 8.1recovery partition on to the PC and actually puts it back in to factory condition.   I'll post my results here.

• JordanB
    Options

Ok.  So I made that recovery drive in Windows 10.....I wanted to know if it would put the recovery partition on the USB drive......and it would actually work if I ever needed to use it.  After I made the recovery drive, I wiped the hard drive using diskpart clean and tested my recovery drive.....it worked fine. It put me back to Acer OEM windows 8.1 with no traces of Windows 10.