Recovery Manager not working Windows 10 and recovery USB not working

Options
bethan
bethan Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi.  I have an Aspire V11 laptop, bought in mid 2014.  When I bought it, I got a USB and followed all the instructions to make a recovery USB.  It is now running really slowly and I wanted to refresh it using this USB but when I go through the process, it says that the USB is not a recognised media.  Also, when I try to run Recovery Manager, it asks me if I wish to allow this programme to make changes etc and when I click on "yes" that window goes away and nothing happens.

I don't want to run the Windows system refresh because one of the files it lists that it will delete is AOP Framework and I have seen that some people have had problems when this has been deleted.

My daughter has an Aspire E15 laptop and I have a recovery USB for that - would I be able to use that?

Answers

• Shenya
    Shenya Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Recovery USB media usually autoboots (restart machine, F12 for startup options, select the USB stick). If it indeed has an issue, you might want to find another stick and try with this. If the recovery image software won't start as you indicate, then I would say something nasty is at work and is the reason your machine is so slow to start with.

Have you tried running MalwareBytes? This is a great tool for digging out the nasties and putting things back the way they should be, and definitely what I would try first. It's free also. http://www.malwarebytes.com

If that fixes the issue, get a new usb stick (8Gb or larger) and download Windows 10 installation media from microsoft (try that if all other methods fail too, since this will allow you to make a fresh install of W10).

Another thing to try before you go down the route of a full recovery from media is to use the refresh PC option. Go to settings, Update & Security, Recovery, Refresh (this keeps all your data, Reset deletes all your data). As far as the AOP framework, which Acer programs do you use? You can go to add/remove programs and uninstall it, and then go to Acer's site and download whichever programs you do use, install them and this should reinstall the framework properly. If you don't even use any of them, then uninstall and be done with it, it doesn't affect the system, it's the Acer Open Platform for their cloud services.

• bethan
    bethan Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

That's really helpful, thank you!