Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 does not see the 5ghz Wireless Network my laptop model is the V3-772g-946

Options
apachecav
apachecav Member Posts: 7 New User

Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 does not see the 5ghz Wireless Network my laptop model is the V3-772g-946..

Does anybody have a fix for this, I have already updated the driver to thee latest release.. Please help this is very frustrating 

Answers

• JaapDJ
    JaapDJ Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options

Presuming your drivers are recent and correctly installed and it's not a hardware error, you might check the device properties in the device manager. Is there a setting which affects the 5Ghz channels the adapter will or will not use? It could be that your 5 Ghz WIFI is transmitting on a frequency that is outside that band. Maybe it's an idea to first check wether you currently have 5 Ghz working at all. You could install a WIFI analysis tool like Acrylic WIFI free (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/download-wifi-scanner-windows/) and see if you detect 5 Ghz activity at all. Good luck...

• apachecav
    Options

Yes the 5Ghz is working just fine, several other devices connect to it with no issue, The 5 Ghz channel is auto negotiated along the entire range assined to wireless network communications. The adpter itself does not have a seperate setting for a 5 or 2.5 Ghz only, my understanding of the right up on this particular adapter is that it supports 5Ghz connection... So those bases have been covered before I posted to the group......

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Can you take your laptop to a different network with a different wireless router/AP?  How does it work then?

If someone has wireless MAC address filtering enabled on the wireless router/AP, try disabling it.  I'm pretty sure the 5GHz radio and the 2.4GHz radio have unique MAC addresses.

The AP has a different 5GHz SSID than the 2.4 GHz SSID???  Or are they the same SSID?

Actually, I'm pretty sure your AR5BWB222 adapter has the ability to operate in 5GHz mode only.  At least mine does.

If all else fails, ask a geek friend and they'll get it working for you.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • apachecav
    Options

I am a network engineer, yes the laptop acts the same way trying to connect to other 5g netwoks, There is no mac address filtering on the wireless router, yes they are seperate ssid's .... The option to do a single 5ghz or 2.4 is not in the advanced tab. the driver I am using is 10.0.0.288 .......

• JordanB
    Options

What operating system is on computer?

• apachecav
    Options

Win 8.1

• JordanB
    Options

I don't know. All you can do is try to re-install the driver from Acer's website.  If that didn't work, you could try to install it via device manager, and right click on update driver, and then point it to the driver folder.

Make sure you have latest bios, chipset driver etc..

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

If you've performed a clean install of Windows 8.1 (instead of using Acer OEM windows that came with your computer), the only other thing to do that I can think of would be to reset the computer to factory condition using recovery discs or USb flash drive.  If factory condition doesn't work....then maybe a hardware problem.

• apachecav
    Options

Yea that last part is pretty drastic, I would think Acer support would have a better answer but it looks like their support is community based only.... If you have other information on how to contact them I am all ears...

• JordanB
    Options

I'm pretty sure it says "Contact Acer" in great big letters right here:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support#_ga=1.26459838.2057293553.1440123875

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Edit:  To make a sytem image of your current setup is about 15 minutes.  To reset to factory defaults is about 15 minutes.  To restore system image is about 15 minutes.  So about 45 minutes total.  I'm not sure how drastic that is but I suspect you've already spent more than 45 minutes on it.

• JaapDJ
    JaapDJ Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options

The remark "Yes the 5Ghz is working just fine, several other devices connect to it with no issue." puzzles me. Can you elaborate on what type of devices? AP's by any chance? If so have you investigated the possibility of an issue with your particular brand/model AP?

• apachecav
    Options

Sure, several smart phones from different manufacturers, several laptops and tablets from different manufacturers and an acer v5 with an AR5bwb222 network card running .268 for a driver

• apachecav
    Options

To many downloaded and installed programs to take that kind of risk if i don't have too...

For the moment the 5g came and actually connected... I don't know how long that will last for though...

• bsc249
    bsc249 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

yea, been fighting the Acer V5 wifi issues for almost 2 years. If this is a relatively new problem for you, this is not the solution for ya BUT, if you have had endless issues with wifi this may be the last resort for your Acer machine.

My situation, similar to you, countless other devices work fine anywhere in the house. The Acer V5 works fine in the room with the AP but not in the next room 15' away and with a direct line of sight.  Plug in a Netis USB wifi adapter - bingo back online.  Acer won't respond with a solution - They Are Useles!

I've read countless posts, updated drivers, adjusted all appropriate settings and nothing has worked. Again, Acer won't respond with a solution and this has been an ongoing issues since early 2013 - They Are Beyond Useless!

I've come across this a couple times in the past. I'm finally doing this tomorrow, well actually later today.

scroll down to the post from GratsAcer 

http://community.acer.com/t5/2014-Archives/Acer-wifi-limited-connectivity-issue/m-p/127681#M7246