Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter

Options
cdugan2015
cdugan2015 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, I recently purchased an Acer Aspire V15 Nitro VN7-591G-74SK. It runs Windows 8.1 64-bit. It has the Atheros AR5BWB222 network adapter. I have a roughly 60Mb/s Internet connection, but I'm only getting about 1.0Mb/s download in some areas of my house. Basically, download speed takes a drastic dive after I leave the room with my router in it. Barriers and distance seem to be a problem for either the software or hardware in this computer because all the other devices in my house get at least 10-25 Mb/s at any given location in my house whereas mine is <3.0 Mb/s in any room except directly next to the router (where I get 50-60 Mb/s). I'm using speedtest.net as a test (I know it's not ideal but it's easy to use and seems to represent how horribly slow the connection is in those other rooms) to determine this. I've seen this problem for this network adapter across many forums, but none of the answers have worked for me. I've reinstalled the drivers several times. I reinstalled Windows. I tried changing the network channel on my router. My current driver for the network adapter is 10.0.0.298. I installed this from the unofficial Atheros website (atheros.cz). However, the drivers from the Acer website are older versions, and the laptop came with 10.0.0.288, none of which work any better. I've also changed the power settings to maximize wireless performance regardless of power state (battery or plugged in). This is a last effort on my part before I either return the laptop or decide to purchase a new network adapter. 

For you guys, if anyone has any more suggestions that worked for them, I'd be eternally grateful. Otherwise, if you know of a network adapter that would replace this one well, I'd love to check it out too (under $50 would be nice). 
Thanks for reading this! 

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

cdugan2015,

I am sorry to hear that you are getting poor wireless performance when you leave the same room as your router. I can only suggest trying another network and seeing if the symptoms are the same. I understand you have other devices that are not affected. If the problem is persistent, I would recommend contacting our technical support as our repair team may be able to resolve this problem.