Problems with Aspire V5-122p

Options
afindlay
afindlay Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I have an Aspire V5-122p (full model V5-122p-42154G50nss MFG 2013/06/05)  laptop that i'm about to conceed defeat with.... it's beaten me!   maybe someone has some ideas i've not tried yet? please let me know if this rings any bells.

symptoms: very poor performance, fan running fast all the time,

spec: AMD A4-1250 with 4gb ram

things tried so far:

1. full deep clean, strip and service, renew heatsink paste, clean fan,

2. swap 2gb ram module for new module (other 2gb is soldered to mainboard)

3. fresh install of windows 10

4. another full strip down and rebuilt incase a thermal sensor was knocked etc, no signs of any damage

5. new hard drive

6. format and fresh install of windows 10

7. BIOS update to latest v2.12 (what a mission, had to do v2.06 first but that was no longer on the website so needed a support call to obtain!)

i'm not sure what else to try now, it's so slow that it's not usable at all, even for basic admin/surfing.  my next step would be a motherboard, but that would be a write-off to this low value machine. i'm wondering if windows x32 might make a difference on this entry level CPU, but that's grasping at straws.

does any bright spark out there have a bright idea?  

Thanks in advance,

Al

Answers

• GazzaTB
    GazzaTB Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

I suspect this is the same issue everyone is having with this laptop. It's the graphics driver problem. You need to uninstall the graphics driver and stop the driver updating automatically. There's many posts with people detailing the problem but see this one for how to disable the driver updating again:-

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-V5-122P-BSOD-s/m-p/464794#M13191

• afindlay
    afindlay Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks so much for the reply Gazza,  i had come across this article previosly and dissmissed it as I'm assuming this is a hardware related problem.  The Fan is racing and performance is poor no matter what OS is running.  I've just tried windows 8.1 and that is the same, infact it's even poor when booted into ubuntu from USB key, so i think it's something more profound.

Thanks again,

Al