Possible defect on v17 nitro

Glim
Glim Member Posts: 2 New User

My 3 day old laptop stays on a black screen, but fans start to run very loudly and keyboard lights up, after I put it out of sleep mode. Typing on the keyboard, moving my hand around the touchpad doesn't do anything. This goes on for 10 minutes before I decided to hold down the power button to reboot the computer 

Answers

• JonM
    JonM Member Posts: 25 New User

Hello Glim, 

Is your V Nitro running Windows 10? I've seen a few cases where strange behaviors such as these would happen on Windows 10 units, especially those that were upgraded from 8.1 either by the end user, or prior to being shipped. (This may not apply to new in box units).

I see that you have only had the computer for a couple days. Have you installed any applications or migrated any personal files to this unit yet? One of the possible solutions to this problem involves wiping the unit and reinstalling the Operating System via the recovery partition, and I understand the inconvenience this process could cause if you already have this unit set up just the way you like.

If you'd like to continue with this option and would like a set of instructions on how to perform this wipe/restore of the Windows OS, just let me know and I'll post it for you. If the problem still persists, I also recommend if possible to toggle off any Wake on LAN feature or Fastboot/Hybrid Shutdown feature to see if this helps solve the problem for you.

• Glim
    Glim Member Posts: 2 New User

yeah, it is running windows 10 which was how it was advertised by Costco. I already imported personal files and personalized the computer so i'd like to know if there are possible ways to fix this problem without having to wipe out the system. Thanks!

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

Since it's a couple of days old, I would ask for a replacement. When you installed stuff did you also install the intel management/AMT drivers?  The problem could be the outdated intel management drivers.

You can go here: http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers , input your model and install those drivers. Also be sure you have the latest BIOS.

If it does not help, since it is just a couple of days, I would definetely ask for a replacement.

• JonM
    JonM Member Posts: 25 New User

I'll agree with sharky that the Intel Management/AMT drivers may also be the culprit. Whether you reset the unit or return the unit, you'll still be in the same boat with having to set the computer up again and re-transfer all of your files. At this point I personally would go the return/exchange route as well since you're still within the return period. I would have performed the wipe/restore if the item was un-returnable.