Persisting Performance Issues

Options
Zerker
Zerker Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello, hope you are having a nice day. I will try to cut this as short as possible:

I own an Acer 791G with:

Intel 4210H

GTX 860M

8 gigs of DDR3

No SSD

Bought it last year.

After using it for about a month I started experiencing huge FPS drops, lags, spikes and streaming videos having incredible amounts of visual/audio stutters. My problem was diagnosed as DPC Latency caused by a service called Intel Technology Access, disabling it solved it.

A few months later it appeared again, and no matter what I did, I could not solve it. I have been unable to play taxing games on this machine for 6-7 months. So here goes:

Symptoms are:

- Low performance in games. For example, I used to play World of Warcraft with above 60 FPS, now I do it around 20, sometimes less.

- Lag spikes in games. Some games, I have no idea why, don't suffer from any problems. For example, Tomb Raider still plays around 60 FPS, but suffers from a huge lag spike that lasts 5-6 seconds whenever a taxing scene suddenly appears out of nowhere, like an avalanche.

- Stutter and visual/audio lag is now spread from streaming videos to videos I already have stored in my computer. Though it is not as bad, I experience stutter and lag every 10 mins or so from Youtube videos, videos I have stored either never stutter, or stutter all the way from beginning to the end.

- Mouse lag while using Youtube on Microsoft Edge.

- Latency checker apps such as Latencymon report very high dpc latency, showing NDIS.SYS as the culprit. If the network adapter is disabled, then the audio driver is the culprit, if that is disabled, the video driver, and so on.

Solutions I have tried:

- Uninstalled and reinstalled all the device drivers from scratch. Eveything. Tried both old and new drivers.

- Made sure that my games were using the correct GPU from the Nvidia Control Panel.

- Searched for anything even remotely resembling Intel Technology Access, couldn't find it.

- Updated BIOS to the latest found in Acer support section.

- Increased fan speed through third party programs.

- Disabled all the devices in my PC one at a time to find which one was faulty.

- Tried the ethernet port and even a USB Wireless Adapter to connect to the webs.

- Tried disabling and uninstalling everything related to the webs.

- Memtest showed no issues.

- Scanned for viruses and such.

- Uninstalled all my anti-virus apps, tinkered with the Windows Firewall.

- Finally, to no avail, upgraded to Windows 10. Clean install.

Nothing worked. Nothing ever works. I haven't seen the slightest improvement(well, except when I increased the fan speed, seems like I have gained around 5-6 FPS in WoW - Low settings).

I am terrorized. I have heard that these machines have faulty network adapters that can cause this issue, but couldn't find a soul that knows what to do about it.

Please help me folks, you are my last remaining hope. My hobby time is precious, since I have an hour tops for it all day, and I'm sick and tired of this issue sabotaging it.

Answers

• Zerker
    Options

Can no one help?

• Zerker
    Options

I'm open to all ideas at this point, c'mon.

• hulen15
    hulen15 Member Posts: 18 New User
    Options

did you try windows full reset? , also did you try to switch everything on high-maximum performance in nvidia settings hd graphics in geforce experience and in power settings?

• Zerker
    Options

Thanks for your attention.

Yes and yes, to no avail of course.

• hulen15
    Options

did you try using only video card in nvidia physx?

• hulen15
    Options

maybe there is dust issue inside laptop

• hulen15
    Options

also check your cpu speed (ghz) in task manager and see if it is less than it's normal ghz

• Zerker
    Options

I did try everything related to my GPU, and I think dust issues would show themselves as problems related to temperature, not latency.

However, I did check my CPU usage(no idea why I didn't think of this before), and while it shows the proper 2.90GHz as maximum, the usage is 780MHz(%6) while idle, and %15 during World of Warcraft. Is this normal? Shouldn't a video game of this caliber, even if it's not CPU-Heavy, should at least use around %40 to %50?

• hulen15
    Options

nope dude cpu speed should be working on maximum speed or more, mine working on 3,20ghz + when my max is 2.6 ghz but that's turbo speed, so there is nothing wrong with the gpu and it's cpu fault, when i unplug the ac adapter mine ghz is 0,78 i don't know is your battery or charger working well?,

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Zerker,

I don't have your computer model, but I experienced that Intel Technology Access bug after a Windows update on a Windows 8.1 desktop computer a long time ago.

I don't know what the official solution is to that bug, but I can tell you what I did.

1.  I backed up my important personal files

2.  I wiped the drive with "diskpart clean"

3.  Loaded BIOS defaults (F9) and then saved/exit (F10).

4.  I used my USB recovery drive that I made when I first bought the computer and reset the computer to factory condition.....and started over.

I remember several other people had that bug and problems after a Microsoft Windows 8.1 update.  I wasn't the only one, but it wasn't widespread.  After I put the computer back to factory condition, I never experienced that bug again.....even though I receive all Windows 8.1 updates.  I have another virtually identical computer that never got that bug.  I have no idea why.....although I always suspected it had something to do with the Intel Management Engine firmware or driver. I just wrote it off as a freak bug....but it defintely was precipitated by a Windows 8.1 update.

I'm not an Acer employee.