Performance slow when plugged in (V5-552)

Options
Mike_D42
Mike_D42 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Aspire v5-552, I purchased it a few weeks ago and still haven't been able to fix the poor performance while the charger is plugged in. I notice when it is plugged in, the speed drops from ~2.45GHz to ~1.5GHz. I've heard this may be something to do with the A10-5757M attempting to use turbo core technology when plugged in. I've changed all the windows power settings while charging to be exactly the same as battery settings (including all Advanced settings). I have also changed the power settings in AMD Catalyst so that it maximizes battery both when plugged in and on battery.

I have tried a factory reset, system restore, a bios update, as well as giving it a go before I updated to Windows 8.1. I have a friend who has the exact same model (even from the same supplier) and his works fine while plugged in, I also tried it with his charger and it's still the same. I've heard that getting a 90W charger can help with this.. Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

Answers

• Alan-London
    Options

As you said, your friend has no problem so it should be reasonable to assume that your laptop has a fault. The best way to address this is to contact Acer support or your supplier as the machine  is under warranty.

Attempting to 'compensate' with a more powerful PSU would not be a good move in my view and certainly doesn't address the problem if one exists.

• Mike_D42
    Mike_D42 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Ok well thank you, I was just wondering if it may have been a common fault but apparently not! I'm still within the 21 days in which I can take it back to pc world for having a fault, so I'll take it back to pc world and if they don't take it I'll contact acer support about sending it for repairs. Thank you!

• eddie_beltran
    eddie_beltran Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options

Did Acer change your laptop, partner? I have the same issue....

• crywars
    crywars Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Same here.. Supports just said I should send it in..

• wilson088
    wilson088 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Has Anyone Solved this issue?

I have exactly the same problem with the same model V5-552M laptop works fine when on battery but FPS drops from 100 down to an unplayable 10 - 20 when charger is plugged in ON ALL GAMES, its not the power settings, updated drivers, re format, update bios. It has been for repair twice and has not been fixed by supplier (Currys) and is now in again to be fixed, but im not hopeful seeing as they havent fixed it the first two time, Im pretty sure its gotta be a problem with the charger, battery or charging circuit ? but dont want to opwn to void warranty.

Any news would be helpful

• eddie_beltran

Tinkerer

Options

I have my laptop already, and after 3 times "repaired" and it STILL THE SAME......they changed the motherboard TWICE, so those Acer Engineers are fooling me, or it´s a Hardware design issue, They should PUT it IN THE ADDS....

• eddie_beltran

Tinkerer

Options

Guys, I have an Idea of what it is, it´s a BIOS malfunction. Many Lenovo and HP (even DELL Alienware)users complains about the same, and they are all running A10,A8,A6 APU´s.....Look at what they say here https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/G505s-slow-CPU-speed-whilst-charging/td-p/1255661,
    Lenovo uploaded a new release of the BIOS and presto!, everything is smooth as a baby *****....Acer, you need to work on this issue, Lenovo Did, Dell did, IM MAKING YOU A FAVOR ACER!

• FIPOLINIO
    FIPOLINIO Member Posts: 13 New User
    Options

Same issue here with an Acer V5 552 A8 processor...as eddie_beltran says, it might be and probably is a BIOS issue, we need to make Acer aware of this

• alkimia13
    alkimia13 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

hello, the same problem here with aspire e 14, any solution for this?