No on-board sound for Acer Aspire V5

Options
Clouds
Clouds Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I have an Acer Aspire V5 571P-6815 upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, 64 bit and do not have on-board speakers showing in Hardware and Sound> Sound, nor the Realtek HD Audio Manager. I do hear Windows event sounds. No disabled devices are listed.

I have rolled back the sound drivers when it was an option. No difference, so updated the drivers.

Updated Dolby Advanced Audio V2, then just uninstalled the program.

There continues to be only one set of external speakers available to adjust properties in Realtek HD Audio Manager and the Device Sound window.

I looked at the BIOS to see if there was a place to enable the on-board speakers, but did not notice if that is an option.

I have sound when using an audio jack plugged into external speakers whether I am using an HDMI cable running to an external monitor (which does not have its own speaker source) or when just using the laptop’s screen. However, I would like to be able to use my notebook as a stand-alone computer and be able to play sound files and receive sound from the internet via the built in speakers. Thank you for suggestions; I am beyond the warranty assistance period.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Download this Realtek drives+Dolby:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/func-startdown/1393/

(100%) trustable website

Uninstall Realtek driver from your laptop, reboot and install the downloaded file.

check if sound works.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Clouds

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you IronFly for your kindness to reply. I unplugged the external speakers and followed your instructions. No on-board speakers were recognized.

• IronFly
    Options

can you please post a screenshot of device manager with sound,video and game controllers tree open?

windows key logo + x

select device manager

click on sound, video and game controller

• Clouds

Tinkerer

Options
  • IronFly
    Options

looks ok.....

i need another screenshot:

right click on the speaker icon near clock&date, choose playback devices

right click on the new window and choose 

show disabled devices

show disconnected devices

take a screenshot and post it here.

• Clouds

Tinkerer

Options
  • IronFly
    Options

mmm interesting, looks ok too.

on windows control panel, do you have any Realtek sound icon?

if so, open it and check if any settings is handling only the headphone output jack; there is also a little gear or folder for advanced settings on the top of the Realtek control panel.

if you do the sound test on windows, did you hear any sound?

double check all the volumes on Realtek panel.

• Clouds

Tinkerer

Options

I have not noticed any listing for settings other than the headphone output jack. If I unplug the external speakers there is no sound, with the sound test. I am not sure I am looking in the right place since I did not notice a gear or folder. I did click on the ‘i’ (Information box) and enabled the display icon in notification area. I’ll add screenshots of where I looked. Thank you!

Screenshot (45).png

Screenshot (47).png

• IronFly
    Options

That's ok.

i'm out of ideas at the moment.

as last resort, i would right click on Device manager, realtek HD audio and choose uninstall.

reboot and check if sound works, without installing Realtek drivers.