New Acer Aspire V17 Nitro owner

excalibur2811
excalibur2811 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hi All,

I just bought my most powerful machine yet - an Acer Aspire V17 Nitro with i7 processor, GeForce 950M and 128 Gb SSD and 1 Tb GDD, and expanded it to 16Gb.

I am more or less pleased with it so far except for the bloatware and the fact that I am migrating from Windows 7 which seems to much more straightforward - Microsoft what were you thinking when you created Windows 8.1!

Anyhow after installing all updates for Windows 8.1, I upgraded to Windows 10. Everything seems fine, except that I have an issue with the camera.

As far as I understand the situation, if I bought the laptop now (in September), then the camera should definitely be a REALSENSE one. However I cannot get it to work, not even as a normal camera (I get a "camera is in use by another application" error message). Not can I install the Realsense drivers for Windows 10 because I get the message "No realsense camera found". I even tried downloading a demo game that uses the Realsense camera but that did not work either ("no camera found")

How can this be? Could it be a faulty camera, or was I maybe sold some older model that had been lying on some shelf somewhere? Or am I wrong about all V17 Nitros having such a camera in September 2015?

Is there any way I can check for this camera? And how do I find the date of manufacture of the laptop from the SNID on the base? or by any other means.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

J.