Need help updating my Intel HD 4400's graphics drivers

c_s_01
c_s_01 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi. I have an Aspire V5-561-6607 running Windows 8.1 with an Intel HD Graphics 4400 graphics card.

I have the latest OEM drivers from Acer's website. However, they are NOT the latest Intel drivers for the HD 4400.

I can't upgrade it any further than Acer's drivers, despite Acer's drivers being out of date.

Is there anything I can do? I know HOW to update the drivers, I just CAN'T---when I try to manually update the drivers through the Intel utility it seems to think that the Acer drivers are the absolute latest. Period.

It's causing issues for games that it shouldn't be causing issues with and I'd like to solve this problem.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

check if any entries is on program/features, if there's no evidence of installation, go to device manager, right click the Intel VGA adapter and select Uninstall, if it asks to delete drivers software, check the options and uninstall.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

Uninstall the Acer/Intel VGA drivers and downlad/install the drivers from Intel website.

• c_s_01

Alright, how do I completely strip out the Acer/Intel drivers before doing that? Just asking since I want to be sure I know what I'm doing.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

check if any entries is on program/features, if there's no evidence of installation, go to device manager, right click the Intel VGA adapter and select Uninstall, if it asks to delete drivers software, check the options and uninstall.

• c_s_01

BINGO! That did it! Thanks a billion, I've been trying to figure out this problem for over a year now. Not only was this helpful but I learned something!

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• thrashingentity
    thrashingentity Member Posts: 1 New User

I am a bit of a techy myself and it took 5 days of solid troubleshooting graphics issues for my V5-561-6607 (Primarily with with big flash/java based programs/games)

*MINECRAFT-MODDED* "Direwolf20-1.6.4 - - AgrarianSkies 1.6.4"

Windows 10 Home

Intel Core i5-4200U

Intel HD 4400

8GB ddr3

240GB Kingston SSD

I tried updating java, changing mod packs, deleting (.minecraft) folder, changing launchers, a clean install, ssd upgrade, and forum hunting to discover the acer based driver, and intel driver (the one listed for the HD-4400 on the intel site) is PURPLE MONKEY TOE CHEESE for windows 8/8.1/10....

**I felt defeated and frustrated**

Then I got serious/desperate and started trying 3rd party drivers... Still no luck....

.....UNTIL.....

USING THIS DRIVER (10.18.14.4332) found in an archive zip labeled (win64_153628.4332.zip) ****DESIGNED FOR 3rd GEN if I remember right**** I went from 0fps occasionally spiking a 10fps every 35 seconds or so to a Scale of 15-65FP on my Agrarian Skies Server depending on where I'm at and what is generated.

I Don't remember what page/link I found on intels site for the download but I will try to Send a zip to peeps that PM me when I get time.

*DICLAIMER*

I DID NOT MODIFY ANYTHING IN THE ZIP AND NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ISSUES/DAMAGE THAT MAY INCUR FROM THE USE OF THIS ZIP, BUT YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SCAN THINGS YOU DL FOR VIRUSES FROM PEEPS YOU DO NOT KNOW OR TRUST "just sayin' yo". THE DRIVER MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYBODY.... MANUALLY REMOVE THE OLD DRIVER (AND DELETE FILES) FIRST, THEN INSTALL THE DRIVER WITH INTERNET DISABLED OR WINDOWS UPDATE COULD RE-INSTALL THE DEFUALT DRIVER BEFORE YOU GET A CHANCE TO INSTALL THIS ONE. THEN JUST UNINSTALL IF IT DOESNT FUNCTION CORRECTLY

*PS* Share the love.

If you know/find/hear of another in need, foreward the zip.

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]